hugoestr
Hi,
We are exploring creating an integration system to connect and communicate with systems outside of our company. We are leaning towards adopting Apache Camel. However, a few of us would rather work with the Beam than the JVM.
Is there any integration system in Elixir that is similar to Apache Camel? I have tried searching, but search is sort of broken on the internet right now. I am getting a lot of garbage pages. I am going to keep looking, though.
That said, if someone in the Elixir community knows the answer, that would be awesome. I would love to add that hypothetical framework to the proposal
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jdiago
Never heard of Camel before but had a peek at the docs…
Instead of “Elixir alternative to Camel,” I think the better question to ask is: What are you trying to do in Camel and how can you do that with Elixir instead?
Just from skimming the docs, I see hints of plain Elixir/OTP features, Phoenix, and GenStage/Broadway.
Take this reply with a grain of salt. I am biased. I cringed when I saw “Enterprise Integration Pattern.”
hugoestr
Thanks so much for your response. I think this was very useful. I am going to explore and present Elixir/Beam as an alternative.
rhcarvalho
If you have existing dependencies written in Java or other JVM language, or the “enterprisey” aspect is guiding the decision, maybe the BEAM or anything else might be a hard sell.
But it seems there’s room for proposing alternatives, in which case you could compare the many patterns of message-based communication listed in EIPs :: Apache Camel with native/equivalent solutions in the BEAM (as in previous answers in the thread).
Reminds me of that slide comparing BEAM with other stacks, how it replaces a lot of separate components. The legendary talk The Soul of Erlang & Elixir by Saša Jurić https://youtu.be/JvBT4XBdoUE?si=pyKU-_EOHzrTsH1Q&t=36m40s.
Good luck!
jswanner
There’s always JInterface (kind of kidding, I have no experience with it)…
krasenyp
I’d say use Camel as a glue to move messages from external systems to internally managed RabbitMQ and the use Elixir for processing.
This was a feasible approach a few years back and I can only imagine Camel getting better since then.
hugoestr
This talk is amazing. Thanks for linking to it. We currently don’t run JVM in our systems. We would introduce either JVM or BEAM. For once, there is a bias in favor of BEAM, but we still have to make our case. That talk is a strong case
hugoestr
This is an option that I had not thought about. I will keep it in mind
dimitarvp
Are you actually needing the rule-based payload routing functionality of Apache Camel? If not then I am not sure what’s the issue in adopting literally any message queue.
hugoestr
A quick update. First of all, thanks so much for your replies. Your insights and links helped me a lot with the research.
As of right now, we are going to move forward with Elixir using GenStage as the core of the system. I am writing a prototype right now to make sure we don’t run into any blocker that can doom the project.
Again, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.