rlipscombe

rlipscombe

I’m using plug (without Phoenix), and I’ve got a router that contains something like the following:

get "/users/:user_id/favorites" do
    body = get_favorites(user_id)
    send_resp(conn, 200, body)
end

I’d like to use JWT to restrict access to this route based on :user_id, but using a secret associated with :user_id.

Using Guardian (or, more directly, using Joken), I can implement JWT checking for the entire application, but I can’t figure out how to attach authentication “middleware” to this route and get hold of the value of :user_id.

Any pointers?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

You can put your auth logic in a plug and route the requests that need to be authenticated via it.

One way to do it is by adding an extra “authenticated” router plug.

defmodule YourApp.MainRouter do
  use Plug.Router
  
  plug :match
  # ...
  plug :dispatch

  get "/" do
    send_resp(conn, 200, "all unauthenticated requests can be handled in this router")
  end

  forward "/users", to: YourApp.AuthedRouter
end
defmodule YourApp.AuthedRouter do
  use Plug.Router

  plug :match
  plug YourApp.AuthPlug
  plug :dispatch

  get "/:user_id/favorites" do
    body = get_favorites(user_id)
    send_resp(conn, 200, body)
  end
end

But if you don’t have many routes that need to be authenticated, you can put the “whether to authenticate?” logic into the authenticating plug itself.

defmodule YourApp.AuthPlug
  @behaviour Plug

  def init(opts), do: opts # maybe list the routes that need to be authenticated in opts

  def call(%{path_info: ["users" | _rest]}, _opts) do
    # authenticate
  end

  def call(conn, _opts) do
    # don't authenticate
    conn
  end
end
victorolinasc

victorolinasc

Plug.Router accepts a private assign per route. Joken 1 leverage this by letting you customize Joken.Plug per route. This is useful when, for example, you don’t want a 401 on unmatched routes. See example here. Look for the second scenario. Implementation wise just be sure to plug it in between match and dispatch.

We are on the process of making Joken 2 which will have a different API. But if you are already using Joken maybe that can help.

rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

Yeah, I saw that. It’s unclear to me how, or if it’s even possible, to pass a different secret (based on the matching path segment) to the verify function.

victorolinasc

victorolinasc

You can look at how we’ve implemented this plug (it is a single source file) here.

Since our implementation isn’t flexible enough for your use case, you can use it as a baseline if you want to keep a single router (though @idi527’s anwer would work just as well). Specifically, on this line you can fetch the path from the conn since it already matched.

Hope this helps.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews