natecox
Note: this question is ported over from the official elixir repo, where I was informed not to post this type of question there. Apologies to anyone seeing it twice. Also, Jose Valim did take the time to comment before closing the issue, but I’m curious as to the feeling of the community as a whole.
I’m coming from the Python world, where we typically call idiomatic Python pythonic. If you’re describing doing something in a way that is conceptually correct and falls within the guidelines for the Zen of Python you would say that it is pythonic. Is there an established term for idiomatic elixir? If not, should there be?
(bad) examples:
- Hermetic
- Alchemic
- Fluidic
- Etc
Is this something that the community would even want, or is it not really important?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Neurofunk
I’ve seen most people say “idiomatic Elixir”.
Let just wait for some word to appear from nowhere and use it
AstonJ
I would say idiomatic Elixir as well
mackenza
much rather define what is idiomatic Elixir rather than name it
No offense to the Python community but pythonic? really?
Neurofunk
yeah, that’s not really new
natecox
I don’t see why pythonic is bad. It’s a hell of a lot easier to say, “We should refactor this to be more pythonic,” than to say, “we should refactor this in a way that is more consistent with the guidelines of idiomatic Python.”
mackenza
Because it’s a made up word. Saying something is “idiomatic Python” is self-documenting and doesn’t require the follow-up of “what is Pythonic?” IMO making up words that only community insiders know is counter to a welcoming community, but I was mostly just joking (although I really don’t like fake English).
andre1sk
I think Idiomatic Elixir is fine, Fluidic would be a cool name for some Elixir project though
AstonJ
There’s nothing wrong with made up words - as long as there’s some thought behind them
Flickr
iPod
etc
Bad examples include twttr (before it became Twitter).
sotojuan
Pythonic is a made up work, but it’s a made up word that makes sense. “-onic” tells you everything you need to do. If it was something like “Pythonicalogious” then I’d agree with you.
It’s no different from “Rubyist”.
NobbZ
Is this a hidden proposal to call idiomatic ruby “rubysh”?
I like the conciseness of “pythonic”, as you already mentioned before, because it is assembled from “python” and “-onic” it tells you everything. This is a very clear word.
But there is no way to form such a word for elixir. Elixironic? Sounds like my “rubysh” from above, a little like a joke… Elixiromatic? Thats more like a machine spitting out some kind of magic juice every couple of minutes (as in coffee-o-matic).
So it is the best to just stick with what we already have: “idiomatic elixir”