MUSTDOS

MUSTDOS

I was following this for sending Gmails from Phoenix whenever someone registers an account.

I modified my user controller to this

def create(conn, %{"_action" => "registered" , "user" => user_params} = params) do 
  Swoosh.Email.new() 
  |> Swoosh.Email.to({nil ,user_params["email"]}) 
  |> Swoosh.Email.from({"outsider", "outsideemail@home.here"}) 
  |> Swoosh.Email.subject("FINALLY!") 
  |> Swoosh.Email.html_body("<h1>FINALLY!</h1>") 
  |> Swoosh.Email.text_body("FINALLY!\n") 
  |> Pento.Mailer.deliver() 

  create(conn, params, "Account created successfully!") 
end

And my config/runtime.exs (for I got a warning from console that it’s better to place it there than config/config.exs)

config :pento, Pento.Mailer, 
  adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.Gmail, 
  access_token: {:system, "gmail-api-access-token-from-playground"}

I don’t get an email but I get this error

from console

[error] GenServer #PID<0.658.0> terminating
** (stop) :econnaborted
Last message: {:tcp_error, #Port<0.22>, :econnaborted}
State: {%ThousandIsland.Socket{socket: #Port<0.22>, transport_module: ThousandIsland.Transports.TCP, read_timeout: 60000, silent_terminate_on_error: false, span: %ThousandIsland.Telemetry{span_name: :connection, telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2682427495.2491154433.212811>, start_time: -8253868621053248, start_metadata: %{handler: Bandit.DelegatingHandler, remote_port: 55554, remote_address: {127, 0, 0, 1}, telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2682427495.2491154433.212811>, parent_telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2682427495.2491154435.210270>}}}, %{opts: %{http: [ ], websocket: `[ ]`, http_1: [ ], http_2: [ ]}, plug: {Phoenix.Endpoint.SyncCodeReloadPlug, {PentoWeb.Endpoint, [ ]}}, handler_module: Bandit.HTTP1.Handler, http_1_enabled: true, http_2_enabled: true, requests_processed: 40}}

Showing Posts 1 to 6

jswanner

jswanner

This is equivalent to System.get_env("gmail-api-access-token-from-playground"), do you have an environment variable by that name?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Generally system tuples are a thing of the past though.

You’d much rather use `System.get_env` calls directly in runtime.exs nowadays.

MUSTDOS

MUSTDOS OP

The "gmail-api-access-token-from-playground"

is taken from here in step 2 OAuth 2.0 Playground after clicking “Exchange authorization code for tokens“

jswanner

jswanner

I think what you want is:

access_token: "gmail-api-access-token-from-playground"

Next step is to create a environment variable and then use it:

GMAIL_API_ACCESS_TOKEN=gmail-api-access-token-from-playground
access_token: System.get_env("GMAIL_API_ACCESS_TOKEN")
MUSTDOS

MUSTDOS OP

I had to lower case gmail_api_access_token to get it to save rather than raising an invalid match and it still doesn’t deliver

jswanner

jswanner

Environment variables are set in your shell (or whatever is starting elixir). It’s more of a deployment/security concern, if you are just getting started you can hard code the API key, just don’t push the code to a public repository

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews