kasvith

kasvith

i dont understand how phoenix presence works

in the examples

defmodule MyAppWeb.MyChannel do
  use MyAppWeb, :channel
  alias MyAppWeb.Presence

  def join("some:topic", _params, socket) do
    send(self(), :after_join)
    {:ok, assign(socket, :user_id, ...)}
  end

  def handle_info(:after_join, socket) do
    {:ok, _} = Presence.track(socket, socket.assigns.user_id, %{
      online_at: inspect(System.system_time(:second))
    })

    push(socket, "presence_state", Presence.list(socket))
    {:noreply, socket}
  end
end

it pushes to presence_state on :after_join event…
after that how does it work? how state is being pushed down to client in realtime as changes are happening?

is there any good way to hook into presence_state to identify which clients are online realtime?(I want to implement a total user counter)

PS: Im following this for my usecase https://medium.com/@alvinlindstam/phoenix-presence-for-social-networks-5fb67143f0ad

Showing Posts 1 to 4

zorn

zorn

From the docs, right under the sample you shared:

In the example above, Presence.track is used to register this channel’s process as a presence for the socket’s user ID, with a map of metadata. Next, the current presence information for the socket’s topic is pushed to the client as a "presence_state" event.

Emphasis above added by me. As you call Presence.track/3, it will associate the calling process with this specific user_id, and then when the process goes away (ie: the channel of the example is closed, or in other spaces the LiveView process is ended) the “presence” of this user_id is considered lost.

You might get value from this blog post, which talks about Presence at the end:

Good luck!

kasvith

kasvith OP

Thanks for the explanation, does it means Presence injects some behaviour into the channel to do this?

zorn

zorn

Nope. It gets the pid of the calling process and then uses Phoenix.Tracker and other things inside Presence to observe the life of the process via standard BEAM features.

PaulOlukayode

PaulOlukayode

Presence Tracking Workaround with Phoenix

kasvith said:

def join("some:topic", _params, socket) do
  send(self(), :after_join)
  {:ok, assign(socket, :user_id, ...)}
end

Sometimes you don’t need to strictly tie yourself to the Phoenix Channel’s join/3 callback for presence tracking or messaging.

Workaround idea

Instead of doing everything inside join/3, you can handle presence and messages directly in your GenServer or process by sending messages: all you need is the pid either socket or genserver then bind to it. that is all

def handle_info({:send_text, text}, state) do
  # Relay the message to the process/topic bound to presence
  # Presence is tied to the process (pid or atom) representing the topic
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews