mbrg

mbrg

Hi,

I have recently finished the Ash Framework book ,and would like to add some more features to my Tunez app, starting with a friend system.

What I came up with was to model everything with a FriendRequest resource between a source and target user, like in this blog post. A user has (accepted) friend requests, a user Alice is friends with Bob if Alice’s ID appears in Bob’s list of accepted friend requests as either the target or the source.

So far I have been able to set up friendships between users and to list their friends. What I want to do now is to add an is_my_friend calculation which works similarly to the followed_by_me calculation on Artist.

My resources look like this (just the relevant bits, the Tunez resource also has account registration etc.):

defmodule FriendshipTest.Accounts.User do
  # ... snip
  attributes do
    uuid_primary_key :id

    attribute :username, :ci_string do
      allow_nil? false
      public? true
    end
  end

  relationships do
    has_many :friends, FriendshipTest.Accounts.User do
      no_attributes? true
      public? true

      filter expr(
               parent(accepted_friend_requests.target_user_id) in [id, parent(id)] &&
                 parent(accepted_friend_requests.source_user_id) in [id, parent(id)]
             )
    end

    has_many :accepted_friend_requests, FriendshipTest.Accounts.FriendRequest do
      public? true
      no_attributes? true

      filter expr(
               parent(id) in [source_user_id, target_user_id] &&
                 not pending
             )
    end
  end

  calculations do
    calculate :is_my_friend, :boolean, expr(exists(friends, id == ^actor(:id))) do
      public? true
    end
  end
  # ... snip
end

defmodule FriendshipTest.Accounts.FriendRequest do
  # ... snip
  attributes do
    create_timestamp :inserted_at

    attribute :accepted_at, :utc_datetime_usec do
      public? true
    end
  end

  relationships do
    belongs_to :source_user, FriendshipTest.Accounts.User do
      public? true
      allow_nil? false
      primary_key? true
    end

    belongs_to :target_user, FriendshipTest.Accounts.User do
      public? true
      allow_nil? false
      primary_key? true
    end
  end

  calculations do
    calculate :pending, :boolean, expr(is_nil(accepted_at))
  end
  # ...snip
end

This works for befriending users and listing their friends:

iex(1)> [user_a, user_b] = Friendshiptest.Repo.all(FriendshipTest.Accounts.User)
iex(2)> FriendshipTest.Accounts.befriend_user!(user_a, actor: user_b)
iex(3)> FriendshipTest.Accounts.befriend_user!(user_b, actor: user_a)

iex(4)> Ash.load!(user_a, :friends)
# ... database query
%FriendshipTest.Accounts.User{
  id: "48a91eeb-72ab-4161-af63-68742739c58f",
  username: #Ash.CiString<"user_a">,
  is_my_friend: #Ash.NotLoaded<:calculation, field: :is_my_friend>,
  friends: [
    %FriendshipTest.Accounts.User{
      id: "8a5a1841-9c3d-4195-8877-f64c0826f7c7",
      username: #Ash.CiString<"user_b">,
      is_my_friend: #Ash.NotLoaded<:calculation, field: :is_my_friend>,
      friends: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :friends>,
      accepted_friend_requests: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :accepted_friend_requests>,
      __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "public", "users">
    }
  ],
  accepted_friend_requests: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :accepted_friend_requests>,
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "users">
}

iex(5)> Ash.load!(user_b, :friends)
#...
%FriendshipTest.Accounts.User{
  id: "8a5a1841-9c3d-4195-8877-f64c0826f7c7",
  username: #Ash.CiString<"user_b">,
  is_my_friend: #Ash.NotLoaded<:calculation, field: :is_my_friend>,
  friends: [
    %FriendshipTest.Accounts.User{
      id: "48a91eeb-72ab-4161-af63-68742739c58f",
      username: #Ash.CiString<"user_a">,
      is_my_friend: #Ash.NotLoaded<:calculation, field: :is_my_friend>,
      friends: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :friends>,
      accepted_friend_requests: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :accepted_friend_requests>,
      __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "public", "users">
    }
  ],
  accepted_friend_requests: #Ash.NotLoaded<:relationship, field: :accepted_friend_requests>,
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "users">
}

But when I try to load is_my_friend I get this error:

iex(6)> Ash.load!(user_a, :is_my_friend, actor: user_b)
** (Ash.Error.Unknown)
Bread Crumbs:
  > Exception raised in: FriendshipTest.Accounts.User.read

Unknown Error

* ** (RuntimeError) Error while building parent reference: accepted_friend_requests.target_user_id

Query so far:

#Ecto.Query<from u0 in FriendshipTest.Accounts.User, as: 1, select: struct(u0, [:id, :username])>

Current bindings:

%{0 => %{type: :root, path: [], source: FriendshipTest.Accounts.User}}

  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:3302: AshSql.Expr.reference_error!/2
  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:2283: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1851: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1201: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1851: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1201: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
  (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/filter.ex:38: anonymous fn/2 in AshSql.Filter.add_filter_expression/2
  (elixir 1.18.4) lib/enum.ex:2546: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:3302: AshSql.Expr.reference_error!/2
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:2283: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1851: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1201: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1851: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/expr.ex:1201: AshSql.Expr.default_dynamic_expr/6
    (ash_sql 0.2.86) lib/filter.ex:38: anonymous fn/2 in AshSql.Filter.add_filter_expression/2
    iex:6: (file)

Am I missing something obvious?

I have also put the code on GitHub, along with a failing testcase if that helps.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

This is definitely a bug. Please open an issue and I’ll investigate early this week.

mbrg

mbrg OP

https://github.com/ash-project/ash/issues/2214

Thanks for the quick reply, lease let me know if I need to change anything.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews