mathieuprog

mathieuprog

Anyone who had to deal with change-ing nested associations knows how strugglesome and tedious it can get.

This library provides for now three convenient functions.

  1. Nest a change into a changeset:
ChangesetHelpers.put_assoc(account_changeset, [:user, :config, :address], address_changeset)

A function may also be provided as third argument, which receives the nested changeset (or data wrapped by a new changeset) as argument and returns the modified changeset.

For example in the code below I change an empty entity and add it into the association (typically when you want to insert a new row of inputs in a form to add an entity into a collection of persisted entities):

ChangesetHelpers.put_assoc(account_changeset, [:user, :articles],
  &(Enum.concat(&1, [%Article{} |> Ecto.Changeset.change()])))
  1. Change a nested association:
{account_changeset, address_changeset} =
  ChangesetHelpers.change_assoc(account_changeset, [:user, :user_config, :address])
{account_changeset, address_changeset} =
  ChangesetHelpers.change_assoc(account_changeset, [:user, :user_config, :address], %{street: "Foo street"})

A tuple is returned containing the modified root changeset and the association changeset.

  1. Check whether a given field is different between two changesets:
{street_changed, street1, street2} =
  ChangesetHelpers.diff_field(account_changeset, new_account_changeset, [:user, :user_config, :address, :street])

It’s quite niche but I still wanted to share the work with you :grin:

https://github.com/mathieuprog/changeset_helpers

Showing Posts 1 to 6

mathieuprog

mathieuprog OP

Added fetch_field(changeset, keys) and fetch_change(changeset, keys) (and their bang ! versions).

street = ChangesetHelpers.fetch_field!(account_changeset, [:user, :config, :address, :street])
mathieuprog

mathieuprog OP

Added add_error(changeset, keys, message, extra \\ []) to add an error in a nested changeset.

ChangesetHelpers.add_error(account_changeset, [:user, :config, :error_key], "An error message")
mathieuprog

mathieuprog OP

I added a changeset utility function raise_if_invalid_fields(changeset, fields).

For example:

changeset
|> validate_inclusion(:cardinal_direction, ["north", "east", "south", "west"])
|> raise_if_invalid_fields([:cardinal_direction])

As its name suggests, the function raises if one of the given fields was provided with an invalid value.

Motivation/use case:

Say you have a dropdown list from which a user may select a value (like a <select> element). If the change is not included in the list, what happened?
It’s either a bug in the application, or a script, a malicious user or bot that bypassed the form control inputs.

As the very first version of my application will definitely have bugs, I want to raise to make sure that I don’t miss such a bug (if it were a bug); because if I just add a changeset error, I will not be automatically alerted of the bug, and have to rely on the user to report such cases.

If scripts or bots are abusing my forms, I can just remove the function call and let the error in the changeset (you don’t want to let your application because of a user submit).

Just an idea. Any thoughts welcome:)

mathieuprog

mathieuprog OP

Added a changeset validation function allowing to compare two fields:

validate_comparison(changeset, :start_time, :lt, :end_time)

assert [start_time: {"must be less than 10:00:00", [validation: :comparison]}] = changeset.errors
assert [start_time: :comparison, end_time: :comparison] = changeset.validations

or a change with a value:

validate_comparison(appointment_changeset, :start_time, :gt, ~T[07:00:00])

assert [start_time: {"must be greater than 07:00:00", [validation: :comparison]}] = changeset.errors
assert [start_time: :comparison] = changeset.validations

Works for Date, Time, DateTime, NaiveDateTime and numbers.

mathieuprog

mathieuprog OP

Added a changeset validation function to validate lists (array schema fields)

changeset =
  %Appointment{}
  |> Appointment.changeset(%{days_of_week: [1, 3, 8]})
  |> validate_list(:days_of_week, &Ecto.Changeset.validate_inclusion/3, [1..7])

assert [days_of_week: {"is invalid", [validation: :list, index: 2, validator: :validate_inclusion]}] = changeset.errors
assert [days_of_week: {:list, [validator: :validate_inclusion]}] = changeset.validations
mathieuprog

mathieuprog OP

Version 0.17 is released:

  • dropped raise_if_invalid_fields/2

  • added field_fails_validation?/3 and field_violates_constraint?/3

Use case: sometimes instead of returning changeset errors to the client, you want to return a specialized response for some of the errors that happened. This is especially useful for returning specialized GraphQL objects representing errors in some cases, instead of a set of generic changeset errors.

Example:

case Accounts.register_user(input) do
  # ...
  {:error, changeset} ->
    email_already_used? =
      ChangesetHelpers.field_fails_validation?(changeset, :email, :unsafe_unique)
      || ChangesetHelpers.field_violates_constraint?(changeset, :email, :unique)

    if email_already_used? do
      # ...
    else
      {:error, changeset}
    end
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews