sschneider

sschneider

Lately I’ve been working on more distributed applications, and I was struggling to come up with an easy way of testing them with ExUnit. I looked how Phoenix PubSub does theirs and it seemed fairly simple so I pulled it out into a mix task. I figured other people might have a use for this as well so I published it on hex with the name distributed_test.

It’s pretty simple to use, just run mix test.distributed [--count N] and a clustered environment with your app loaded on every node will be started before your tests are ran.

There’s also a helper module in it DistributedEnviroment that has a start/1 and stop/0 function you can use when developing to quickly start up N number of nodes with your application loaded.

There’s a small gotcha with this in that if you define code in your test_helper.exs, it will only be loaded on the master node, so you’ll want to do something like this in your helper file:

defmodule Utils do
  @module (quote do
    defmodule Foo do
      # ...
    end
  end)

  def load_foo() do
    Code.eval_quoted(@module)
    Node.list()
    |> Enum.each(&:rpc.block_call(&1, Code, :eval_quoted, [@module]))
  end
end

and call Utils.load_foo() in your test/in the helper if you need code loaded on all nodes.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews