hauleth

hauleth

It is library created by me and @abc3. It is simple client for DuckDB, but with small twist when compared with other libraries out there - instead of using NIFs it uses port instead. That provides greater stability (as issues in DuckDB or loaded libraries will not cause issues for BEAM) and provides better OS-level management (as for example OOM killer will kill only port instead of whole BEAM VM).

Right now implementation is quite suboptimal (it do not support response streaming, as it is quite problematic on DuckDB side) and it uses JSON as a transport encoding between Elixir and Rust (yeah, port is implemented in Rust). Hopefully it will be resolved in near future.

It also is built on top of db_connection, so it should be possible to write Ecto integration, but right now it is not implemented (and if it will be implemented, it will be external library).

https://github.com/promeduck/duckex

Showing Posts 1 to 3

garrison

garrison

Oh nice! Given the sorts of analytical queries DuckDB is intended for I had long thought a NIF seemed like a bad idea. Especially since it has a bit of a reputation for OOM in some cases!

The port approach makes a lot more sense to me.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Awesome. Have you considered writing a blog post about lessons learned on how to integrate with db_connection?

hauleth

hauleth OP

I can consider it, though there weren’t any major bumps in the process. But I can try to write some small article about that. db_connection is pretty straightforward, so it isn’t that hard to come up with something.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews