Terbium-135

Terbium-135

Given a schema named group with another embedded schema like this:

schema "groups" do

[...]

    embeds_many :absences, Absence, on_replace: :delete do
      field :reason, :string
      field :first_day, :date
      field :last_day, :date
      field :position, :integer
    end

[...]

  end

With the database field (as defined in a migration):

    ` add :absences, :map`

I.e. I get the following DB data for a single element:
[{"id": "48d308ec-e0d6-4462-a58e-95f7f47f8308", "reason": "sabbatical", "last_day": "2024-12-31", "position": 0, "first_day": "2024-01-01"}]

How I am supposed to query with ecto to exclude a group if a given date is in any element of the jsonb array?

I got stuck trying to convert the jsonb to a recordset for further usage:

from g in Backend.Schema.Group,
        inner_lateral_join:
          absence in fragment(
            "SELECT * FROM jsonb_to_recordset(to_jsonb(?)) as absence(first_date date, last_date date)",
            g.absences
          ),
[?]

Not asking for a solution but a few pointers in the right direction would be highly appreciated

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I realize this isn’t exactly what you’re asking but this sort of thing definitely feels like it would be better modeled by an actual table at the database level. At that point you can just use a left join between the groups and the absences, where you use the join condition to filter out the absences.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

+1 for “use a regular table for this”; query performance will also be much faster.

Either way (separate table for absences or jsonb_to_recordset), you’re looking for a “non-existence” query:

  • start with a query to produce only absences on the given date
  • outer-join groups to that query
  • use WHERE to only include rows that got NULLs from the outer-join
linusdm

linusdm

TIL this trick has a name. Cool! I use this pattern all the time.

jswanner

jswanner

The name I know for this technique is “anti-join”

Terbium-135

Terbium-135 OP

Yes. I agree. Sounds ‘cleaner’ to me too.

That DB layout was given to me like it is and while I was looking at that JSONB field and its content in the DB I was scratching my head how to handle this.

Terbium-135

Terbium-135 OP

Thanks for the general layout!

I am still curious how it’s been done with that JSONB field just for learning purpose.
If I have time I will give it a try.

Looks like ecto’s embed_one, embed_many is meant to be used with the preload function

In any case, thanks all for chiming in
Creating an extra table for now

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews