thojanssens1
Hello,
I want to start a module (MyApp.MyAgent) using Agent that will fetch some data from DB (and thus use MyApp.Repo) and keep it in memory, and I want the data to be available when the application starts. So I add it as a child to the superviser but the compiler complains that MyApp.Repo has not yet been started when aliasing it in MyApp.MyAgent:
def start(_type, _args) do
# List all child processes to be supervised
children = [
# Start the Ecto repository
MyApp.Repo,
# Start the endpoint when the application starts
MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
# Starts a worker by calling: MyApp.Worker.start_link(arg)
# {MyApp.Worker, arg},
MyApp.MyAgent.start_link()
]
defmodule MyApp.MyAgent do
import Ecto.Query, warn: false
alias MyApp.Repo
alias MyApp.SomeContext.SomeSchema
def start_link do
ids = Repo.all(from s in SomeSchema, select: s.id)
Agent.start_link(fn -> ids end, name: __MODULE__)
end
def all do
Agent.get(__MODULE__, & &1)
end
end
Thank you for any help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Do not call start link, but provide a childspec as in the already existing items.
LostKobrakai
Calling
start_linkis effectively a “start this now” and it returns the pid of the started process, while childspecs are just data, which tells the supervisor how to start children, when it’s in the place to start a certain child at a later time, e.g. when the supervisor itself starts or when a child is restarted.