cjbottaro

cjbottaro

I noticed that some function like is_binary/1 is marked as “Allowed in guard tests”. How can I make my own functions/guards like that?

If I defguard and def the same name, the compiler complains.

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 9

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You can’t, guards are fundamentally defined in the VM itself, which allows the VM to perform specific optimizations. defguard lets you essentially construct “new” guards by composing together other guards, but you can’t make new “from scratch” guards.

cjbottaro

cjbottaro OP

I think I worded my question poorly, but anyways, the docs clearly explain how to do what I want…

(defguard) creates a macro that can be used both inside or outside guards.

defmodule Foo do
  
  defguard bar(m) when is_map(m) and m.field == true
  
end

iex> require Foo
iex> Foo.bar(%{field: true})
true

I just needed to read more better… :slight_smile:

hauleth

hauleth

You can do it even without defguard - macros can be expanded in guards, and that is how custom guards could be done way before defguard became a thing.

cjbottaro

cjbottaro OP

:thinking:

I guess I have a follow up question…

defguard is_automatch(thing) when
    (is_struct(thing, Opportunity) and thing.type == "Opportunity::Automatch")
    or (is_struct(thing, Category) and thing.type == "Category::Automatch")

Is there anyway to get that guard to raise when used on something that isn’t an Opportunity or Category?

Like I want this to raise with a no-clause error instead of returning false:

iex> require Typing
iex> Typing.is_automatch(%{})
false

But only when used as a function and not as a guard. Or if that’s not possible, raise in both cases (guard or function) if you pass the wrong type of thing in.

hauleth

hauleth

defguard is_automatch(thing) when
    (is_struct(thing, Opportunity) and thing.type == "Opportunity::Automatch")
    or (is_struct(thing, Category) and thing.type == "Category::Automatch")
    or :fail

It will raise in both guard and function, but raising in guard mean probably something different than what you expect.

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

Yes, it just means that the guard fails and that clause is not chosen.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I don’t see the value of guards over this:

def do_stuff(%Opportunity{type: "Opportunity::Automatch"}), do: ...
def do_stuff(%Category{type: "Category::Automatch"}), do: ...

…and nothing else. Elixir will give you a runtime error if you pass anything else because there’s no clause to handle it. :person_shrugging:

cjbottaro

cjbottaro OP

I think guards provide a lot of readability in some cases. Plus it’s nice to be able to use same guard name inside an if or cond statement.

Also I’m just experimenting with types and polymorphism. And I think I’m finding out guards aren’t meant to be used in the way I’m thinking.

Like you can’t replicate this with guards:

def is_automatch(%Opportunity{type: type}), do: type == "Opportunity::Automatch"
def is_automatch(%Categeory{type: type}), do: type == "Category::Automatch"

iex> is_automatch(%User{})
FunctionClauseError

Cuz the whole point of guards is to keep trying to one of them hits; you can’t say “if some condition in this guard happens, halt early and raise an error.” I.e. it’s impossible for a guard to crash because the wrong type was passed to it.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I don’t object to anything you said, I am just wondering what kind of code you’re looking to write in the end, hence me earlier reply.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews