yoda_machine
I am using :gen_tcp to send raw data between peers. How secure is gen_tcp? Do I need to add an extra security layer on top of what gen_tcp currently provides?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
:gen_tcpfulfills the TCP standard very well, what do you means how secure? Like no buffer overflow packet handling or so? It’s not susceptible to those things, so what are you meaning?yoda_machine
I am sorry I am new here. I guess I should have phrased my question better.
What I meant was would gen_tcp handles file corruption, data encryption, … Or do I need to implement those things myself?
OvermindDL1
There’s no file’s for TCP communication. However TCP itself is a reliable protocol, it already tries to prevent corruption for data transferred.
This is a layer above TCP, not TCP itself. This would be like ssl, so look at
:gen_ssl, which it itself runs on top of:gen_tcp.NobbZ
TCP does not know about files or encryption by itself, so you need to implement another transfer protocol on top that suites your needs.
TCP only saves you for packet loss as it will rerequest packages that are missing from a sequence. AFAIR also packages are checksummed but I’m not sure about that one…
Nevertheless,
gen_tcpwon’t give you magically more or better guarantees that TCP would give you.yoda_machine
Thank you @NobbZ and @OvermindDL1! Any suggestion on what I should do to implement a secure file transferring?
hauleth
Use
sshmodule if you can and setup SSH server on the other end. In that way you will not need anything extra.OvermindDL1
Depends on what you are transferring to or from?
If it’s multiple local erlang nodes, could just use the standard distribution, if it’s remote erlang nodes then standard distribution over an SSH tunnel. Honestly I’d just use
:ssh_sftpregardless of what it is, or a web server.yoda_machine
Unfortunately, I can’t do an
ssh. I am doing a P2P file transfer between untrusted devices.OvermindDL1
SSH works just fine for that, one connects to the other, they just host a little ssh thing and the other connects and transfers what it needs fully encrypted.
yoda_machine
Thank you! I will try it out!