dfeuerbach

dfeuerbach

Reconnects. Backoff. Heartbeats. Slack’s per-method rate limit. Traffic shaping. SlackBot WS handles all of it—and makes building a bot feel like the reason you picked Elixir. This is not a thin API wrapper; it’s an OTP-first Socket Mode runtime.

For slash commands, you declare your command grammar—no regexes or nested conditionals. SlackBot compiles it into a parser at build time.

defmodule MyApp.SlackBot do
  use SlackBot, otp_app: :my_app

  # /deploy api        → %{service: "api"}
  # /deploy api canary → %{service: "api", canary?: true}
  slash "/deploy" do
    grammar do
      value :service
      optional literal("canary", as: :canary?)
    end

    handle payload, _ctx do
      Deployments.kick(payload["parsed"].service)
    end
  end
end

Slash commands aren’t the only thing routed this way. Event handlers work the same:

handle_event "app_mention", event, _ctx do
  SlackBot.push(MyApp.SlackBot, {"chat.postMessage", %{
    channel: event["channel"],
    text: "Hi <@#{event["user"]}>!"
  }})
end

SlackBot WS handles the tier limits and throttling for you.

And middleware works the way you’d expect if you’re familiar with Plug—just over Slack events instead of HTTP.

defmodule MyApp.LogMiddleware do
  def call(_type, payload, ctx) do
    Logger.debug("Slack event: #{payload["type"]}")
    {:cont, payload, ctx}
  end
end

middleware MyApp.LogMiddleware

Return {:cont, payload, ctx} to continue, {:halt, response} to short-circuit.

That’s it. Add your API tokens, supervise the module, ship.

The defaults are production-ready. ETS for cache and event buffer. Sensible backoff. Rate limiting on. You can swap cache adapters if you want to go multi-node, tune timeouts, wire up Telemetry dashboards—but you don’t have to touch any of it until you need to.

SlackBot WS is an extraction of something else I’m building, and I want to share it with those who just want to write Slack bots without the Slack complexity—be they one-off utilities or large bots. Maybe that’s you.

https://github.com/dfeuerbach/slack_bot_ws

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ostap

ostap

This is great! But it’s a shame that Slack doesn’t allow Socket Mode in the public Slack Marketplace, so it’s only usable for internal tools.

dfeuerbach

dfeuerbach OP

Thanks, Ostap. It really is a shame. I can envision a handful of historical reasons why that is (not built on the BEAM being one :slight_smile:). That said, this is an extraction of a more sophisticated HTTP-event driven framework I’m building, and may release some version of it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews