threetriangles
I was reading through the Enum module functions and copying them into the repl to get a feel for how they work. I pasted the following into the repl from the documentation.
Enum.chunk_by([1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 7, 7], &(rem(&1, 2) == 1))
Instead of it returning this, as it should per the docs: [[1], [2, 2], [3], [4, 4, 6], [7, 7]]
It returned this: [[1], [2, 2], [3], [4, 4, 6], '\a\a']
What’s going on?
I even got the same result when I used an online repl.
https://replit.com/@threetriangles/MinorWaryGraphicslibrary#main.exs
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
A list containing only integers that represent printable ASCII is indistinguishable from an Erlang charlist.
The REPL uses
inspectwhich tries to pick the correct representation based on the values in the list: if none of them are unprintable, they are displayed as a charlist - because'hello'is more readable than a list of numbers:freevova
As @al2o3cr mentioned, you should check a :charlist option from the Inspect.Opts — Elixir v1.12.3
stevensonmt
Is there a global
charlistsoption iniex? I almost never really wantiexto display acharlistinstead of a list of ints, so I would much rather have to opt into displaying as charlist.l00ker
You can set it globally using The .iex.exs file by adding the following:
freevova
Check IEx — IEx v1.13.4.
cjbottaro
The repl is trying to “inspect” the return value and it can’t distinguish between a list of integers or a “charlist”.
You can force it to interpret as a list of integers, but I forgot how.
You can also do this:
A charlist is a list of characters, i.e. like this:
['a', 'b', 'c']and a char is basically an integer, so the repl gets confused with how to display a list of ints.Gah, I forgot to hit the reply button and several people have already answered, but I’m going to hit the button anyway so I can feel smart and good about myself…