craigambrose

craigambrose

I’m working on my first GenStage producer, and I want to unit test it as I write the handle demand method. I’m having trouble simplifying the use of GenStage enough to write a simple test. Here’s a very simple producer that when asked for demand, outputs a list of three atoms.

defmodule OutputNonsense do
  use GenStage

  def init(arg) do
    {:producer, :some_kind_of_state}
  end

  def handle_demand(demand, state) when demand > 0 do
    {:noreply, things = [:whatever, :you, :want], state}
  end
end

When it comes to writing a test for this, this is the best I’ve been able to manage. It outputs the three atoms to the console, but never finishes execution.

defmodule OutputNonsenseTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  test "check the results" do
    {:ok, stage} = GenStage.start_link(OutputNonsense, arg = :unused)

    GenStage.stream([stage])
    |> Stream.each(&IO.inspect/1)
    |> Stream.run()
  end
end

I realise that I’m streaming the results into IO.inspect, rather than collecting them to check in an assert. I’m really not sure how to do that. Would love any pointers.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

wfgilman

wfgilman

I have a producer which queries tasks from a database table. I test each callback directly.

For example, my handle_demand/2 callback has the following code:

  def handle_demand(demand, state) when demand > 0 do
    limit = demand + state
    get_events(limit)
  end

  ## Helper functions.
  defp get_events(limit) do
    {:ok, {count, events}} = Task.get_waiting_tasks(limit, :requesting)
    {:noreply, events, limit - count}
  end

This is the test I wrote:

test "handle_demand updates state" do
  insert!(:task)
  {:noreply, _tasks, state} = Feeder.handle_demand(50, 100)

  assert state == 149
end

insert!/1 is a factory which inserts a task into the table, so there’s only one event. The callback asks for 50 in addition to the existing 100, but only gets one. So the resulting state is 149.

I dunno whether this is helpful.

vidalraphael

vidalraphael

Usually a create a simple consumer that just forwards every event it receives to the process that started it:

defmodule TestConsumer do
  def start_link(producer) do
    GenStage.start_link(__MODULE__, {producer, self()})
  end

  def init({producer, owner}) do
    {:consumer, owner, subscribe_to: [producer]}
  end

  def handle_events(events, _from, owner) do
    send(owner, {:received, events})
    {:noreply, [], owner}
  end
end

Then I can use it in my tests to assert about the produced events:

defmodule OutputNonsenseTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  test "check the results" do
    {:ok, stage} = GenStage.start_link(OutputNonsense, arg = :unused)
    {:ok, _cons} = TestConsumer.start_link(stage)

    assert_receive {:received, events}
    # assertions about the events

    # The test consumer will also stop, since it is subscribed to the stage
    GenStage.stop(stage)
  end
end

I hope it helps you somehow

13
Post #2
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

This is a good approach. Using GenStage.stream |> Enum.take is also another possibility.

JanStevens

JanStevens

How would that work? How can you assert on the stream?

mpl

mpl

GenStage.stream |> Enum.take will return a list, so you can make assertions on it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews