lud

lud

Hello,

I’m working on the support for array parameters in Oaskit and there is a difference between how OpenAPI and Phoenix handle them.

In OpenAPI you can declare a query parameter with explode: true which means that passing ?users=Alice&users=Bob should give users: ["Alice", "Bob"] when deserialized.

With Phoenix, this will give users: "Bob". You need to encode it as ?users[]=Alice&users[]=Bob if you want an array.

OpenAPI can support that, you just have to include the [] suffix in the parameter name: "parameters": [{"name": "users[]", "in": "query", "schema": {"type": "array"}}].

So my goal is to automatically include the brackets suffix for array parameters when dumping the API spec to JSON. But I need to check if this is correctly handled by different clients.

My team uses Orval and it seems to work fine. The query parameter can be called users or users[] in the OpenAPI spec, in both cases Orval sends the same thing. Though it sends users%5B%5D instead of users[] but this is valid.

I would like to do the same test with different clients, starting by those used in the community. Can you tell my what client or generator do you use for OpenAPI 3.1?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 5

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You lost me here. Who and how and why is dumping an API spec to JSON? From what format? Do you mean from f.ex. a JS or Elixir project that have tags that the tooling uses to produce a spec?

I only ever used the official openapi-generator but I strongly recommend openapi-tui for inspection. Helped me multiple times in the last year.

lud

lud OP

Yes sorry, many tools provide the ability to declare operations and parameters in the controllers. So when you want to generate a client you have to gather all of his into a json or yaml spec!

Thank you I’ll check those out!

hmmm well openapi-tui does not seem very helpful honnestly.

:query

unknown command, available commands are send, query, […]

And also :send does not produce anything :frowning:

lud

lud OP

hmmm well openapi-tui does not seem very helpful honnestly.

:query
unknown command, available commands are send, query, […]

And also :send does not produce anything :frowning:

Maybe it’s me though, highly probable :smiley:

Anyway I have unit tests for this kind of interaction. I’ll check openapi-generator. What is your worlflow with OpenAPI @dimitarvp ?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I have honestly forgotten, last time I used it was several months ago, but I was generating Rust clients for various APIs and then making sure they work and make small adjustments here and there. In general I was very happy with the quality. But not much recent memories on using it for Elixir, sorry.

Did you find it confusing to use?

RE: openapi-tui, it was also some months ago. Not sure I ever used :query though, I was kind of exploring what was there in APIs and then used the generated clients.

lud

lud OP

Yeah confusing as i did not find easily how to send a request :smiley:

Alright so you generate the client once and then edit it. Thank you :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews