demerphq

demerphq

Recently I was in a conversation with José Valim where I happened to mention that I find myself writing code like this:

X = if COND, do: Y, else: X

and that I wished I had some way to avoid the else boilerplate and make the code simpler. I asked him if there was some way I could write something like this:

X = Y IFF COND

He hummed and hawed for a minute and then pasted me the macro code that is now in the assign_when package on hex. This allows you to use when on assignment statements like this:

X = Y when COND

which is exactly equivalent to

X = if COND, do: Y, else: X

It works with tuples, and anything where you can say X = X. So for instance

{a,b} = {b,a} when a > b

should work fine. IMO avoiding the boilerplate like this makes for more elegant and more readable code. YMMV.

I want to repeat that I take no credit for this, the only thing I did was put release his hack to hex so people can use it. I personally think it would be a great addition to the language as a whole, but I am content to use it via a macro in this package. It uses some weird tricks that seem to cause my more experienced elixir colleagues to marvel over it, and I should note that it seems to confuse the ex_docs automagic on the docs page, but it works nicely so far for me. Thank you José!

https://github.com/demerphq/assign_when

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews