archimondain

archimondain

I would like to be able to call functions from my Elixir code while the whole Cowboy/Phoenix machinery is running. For some reason when I’m not on production everything works fine with iex -S mix. But on production I get

[error] Failed to start Ranch listener SyntaxWeb.Endpoint.HTTP in :ranch_tcp:listen([{:cacerts, :...}, {:key, :...}, {:cert, :...}, :inet6, {:port, 80}]) for reason :eaddrinuse (address already in use)

I’m not sure of what the problem is. From the error message, it seems that iex -S mix tries to listen port 80, while Cowboy is already listening to it. On the other hand it seems odd for the iex -S mix command to try running a server, does’n it ?

My question is : what is really happening ? and how can I load my project modules and run some elixir code in command line while a server is running on the machine ?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

hauleth

hauleth

If this is Phoenix application, and you have:

config :phoenix, serve_endpoints: true

In your production configuration, then application will try to start application, and by extension - start listening -on application launch. And iex -S mix is the same as iex -S mix run, and mix help run returns:

                                    mix run

Starts the current application and runs code.

mix run can be used to start the current application dependencies, the
application itself, and optionally run some code in its context. For long
running systems, this is typically done with the --no-halt option:

    mix run --no-halt

Which mean it starts application which will fail due to trying to reuse listening port.

archimondain

archimondain OP

But I do not have the line

config :phoenix, :serve_endpoints, true

neither in prod nor in dev. It is the same problem when I explicitly set server: false in the configuration file

archimondain

archimondain OP

I have no idea why the server does not start in my Dev env. I also don’t understand why putting server: false in the endpoint configuration keys seems to have no effect. I finally created another configuration which is the same than the production one, except that it does not start the endpoint (but it starts the Repo thing). This is configurable in the application.ex file.

yurko

yurko

Are you using releases? The server option has to do with them, otherwise if you are running the production system with mix it’s just your mix config.

If you are using releases and want to do something with the running system, check out the remote console: mix release — Mix v1.20.2

archimondain

archimondain OP

Good call. I am using releases :slight_smile:, so that must be it.
I will check the link you provide

Thanks

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews