wolfiton
Hi everyone,
Explanation:
This questions is created to establish the best way to deal with separation of big context like a blog in smaller pieces.
The main problem is that a Blog context can get very big if all the schemas go under one context.
Problem:
I wanted to ask if the what is your opinion on the following scenario:
Article context with schema Article and a migration Articles
This would look something like this
YourApp.Article.Article when you will need to reference the schema which might be confusing
So I thought of making the naming more descriptive like this:
YouApp.ArticleContext.ArticleSchema
Question: Is there a better way to name this modules: context and schema for easy readability?
Thanks
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
baldwindavid
I do something similar for the blog part of my app, though your contexts are sliced thinner than mine.
Blogging is the context
Articles is the sub-context
Article is the schema
All of the functions related to articles are in Articles.
The Blogging context then delegates to those functions…
baldwindavid
This post helped me in trying to organize contexts… https://devonestes.herokuapp.com/a-proposal-for-context-rules
LostKobrakai
For the question of where to separate things out I usually think about: Which things change together or independently (in the future). Which changes to a part of the system require changes to another part of the system (coupling). It a context is one cohesive part of your domain, but you feel it’s to big, first try to separate stuff within the context, before you move things out to their own contexts and them effectively becoming a part of your whole apps api.
wolfiton
Interesting naming and very useful to use
defdelegateto each context.Thanks @baldwindavid for sharing your solution
wolfiton
Thanks @baldwindavid for sharing the article.
wolfiton
Thanks @LostKobrakai for sharing your thought process and also the future considerations to take into account when separating contexts.