abreujp

abreujp

Hi everyone,

I built a small Elixir library called ex_doc_anki to generate Anki flashcards from any Elixir project’s documentation using ExDoc.

The main goal is to help you study Elixir APIs through spaced repetition, turning documentation into practice.

How it works:

  • uses ExDoc under the hood to extract documentation
  • for each function, type, and callback, generates a card
  • Front: Module.function/arity (e.g., Enum.map/2)
  • Back: documentation, type spec, and code examples
  • outputs a CSV file you can import directly into Anki
    Typical usage inside a project:
    {:ex_doc_anki, “~> 0.1.1”, only: :dev, runtime: false}
    Then:

Generate cards for your project

mix doc_anki

Generate cards for a dependency

mix doc_anki ecto
mix doc_anki phoenix ecto ecto_sql
The CSV is saved at doc/anki_cards.csv. To import into Anki:

  1. File → Import, select the CSV
  2. Set separator to Semicolon
  3. Map column 1 to Front, column 2 to Back
    A few notes:
  • it works as a Mix task added to your project, not as a standalone CLI
  • you can generate cards for any dependency, even transitive ones
  • if you already have ex_doc as a dependency, you may need to adjust the :only option (the docs explain why)
    It has already been useful in my own workflow, especially for memorizing common Elixir patterns and function signatures.
    Feedback is very welcome, especially around:
  • card formatting and content quality
  • edge cases in documentation parsing
  • ideas for improving the Anki import experience
    Links:
  • Hex.pm: ex_doc_anki | Hex
  • GitHub:

https://github.com/abreujp/ex_doc_anki

Thanks!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12316 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews