Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

Hi everybody,

I am working within a Phoenix Umbrella Project and I’m using Elixir-LS in VSCode.
This extension has a setting elixirLS.projectDir that allows to set the path of the project root (where the mix.exs file is located).
I tried by setting the three option I have:

  • "elixirLS.projectDir": "my_app_umbrella"
  • "elixirLS.projectDir": "my_app_umbrella/apps/my_app"
  • "elixirLS.projectDir": "my_app_umbrella/apps/my_app_web"

It’s somehow working on each of these cases, but I’m not sure if it’s working because once set all the generated files will still be available..

However something that isn’t working is the formatter. For example if I set the path to the ecto part (my_app), the schema files correctly handle the defined formatting provided by ecto (e.g. keeping field :name, :string without parentheses like field(:name, :string) but then the autoformater isn’t working on the Phoenix side (my_app_web). For example in the router file all the line like that plug :fetch_session are replaced by plug(:fetch_session)..

Here are the three .formatter.exs files:

# my_app_umbrella/.formatter.exs
[
  inputs: ["mix.exs", "config/*.exs"],
  subdirectories: ["apps/*"]
]
# my_app_umbrella/my_app/.formatter.exs
[
  import_deps: [:ecto],
  inputs: ["*.{ex,exs}", "priv/*/seeds.exs", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"],
  subdirectories: ["priv/*/migrations"]
]
# my_app_umbrella/my_app_web/.formatter.exs
[
  import_deps: [:phoenix],
  inputs: ["*.{ex,exs}", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"]
]

So I wonder if putting everything on the umbrella project will solve my problem.
I merged the arrays of every like so:

[
  import_deps: [:ecto, :phoenix],
  inputs: ["*.{ex,exs}", "priv/*/seeds.exs", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"],
  subdirectories: ["priv/*/migrations", "apps/*"]
]

And now everything regarding the autoformatter seems to work.

So I wanted to know what do you think?
Will it be a good idea to make this as a default?

Though, I’m not sure if merging the entries won’t have side effects..

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai OP

Does anyone figured this out?
I’m still getting messy formatting depending on if I’m working on the app or app_web part..

lukaszsamson

lukaszsamson

ElixirLS Core Team

Unfortunately the formatter support in elixir-LS is buggy, see e.g. textDocument/formatting does not support subdirectories in .formatter.exs · Issue #361 · elixir-lsp/elixir-ls · GitHub
Personally, I only use mix format

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews