Formatter with Elixir-LS for umbrella project

Hi everybody,

I am working within a Phoenix Umbrella Project and I’m using Elixir-LS in VSCode.
This extension has a setting elixirLS.projectDir that allows to set the path of the project root (where the mix.exs file is located).
I tried by setting the three option I have:

• "elixirLS.projectDir": "my_app_umbrella"
  • "elixirLS.projectDir": "my_app_umbrella/apps/my_app"
  • "elixirLS.projectDir": "my_app_umbrella/apps/my_app_web"

It’s somehow working on each of these cases, but I’m not sure if it’s working because once set all the generated files will still be available…

However something that isn’t working is the formatter. For example if I set the path to the ecto part (my_app), the schema files correctly handle the defined formatting provided by ecto (e.g. keeping field :name, :string without parentheses like field(:name, :string) but then the autoformater isn’t working on the Phoenix side (my_app_web). For example in the router file all the line like that plug :fetch_session are replaced by plug(:fetch_session)

Here are the three .formatter.exs files:

# my_app_umbrella/.formatter.exs
[
  inputs: ["mix.exs", "config/*.exs"],
  subdirectories: ["apps/*"]
]
# my_app_umbrella/my_app/.formatter.exs
[
  import_deps: [:ecto],
  inputs: ["*.{ex,exs}", "priv/*/seeds.exs", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"],
  subdirectories: ["priv/*/migrations"]
]
# my_app_umbrella/my_app_web/.formatter.exs
[
  import_deps: [:phoenix],
  inputs: ["*.{ex,exs}", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"]
]

So I wonder if putting everything on the umbrella project will solve my problem.
I merged the arrays of every like so:

[
  import_deps: [:ecto, :phoenix],
  inputs: ["*.{ex,exs}", "priv/*/seeds.exs", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"],
  subdirectories: ["priv/*/migrations", "apps/*"]
]

And now everything regarding the autoformatter seems to work.

So I wanted to know what do you think?
Will it be a good idea to make this as a default?

Though, I’m not sure if merging the entries won’t have side effects…

1 Like

Does anyone figured this out?
I’m still getting messy formatting depending on if I’m working on the app or app_web part…

Unfortunately the formatter support in elixir-LS is buggy, see e.g. https://github.com/elixir-lsp/elixir-ls/issues/361
Personally, I only use mix format

2 Likes