pjholmes

pjholmes

I saw that PR had been applied to enable LiveView File Upload, so I thought I would try it out. I’m relatively new to Elixir, Phoenix, LiveView, so what could possibly go wrong?

The guide makes it clear where to add the call to allow_update/3 for a LiveView, but I would like to add it to a form_component that opens in a modal window. I added a mount/1 function to the component below.

   defmodule LiveUploadWeb.PostLive.FormComponent do
      use LiveUploadWeb, :live_component
      alias LiveUpload.Blog

      @impl true

      def mount(socket) do
         IO.puts("in mount")

         newSocket =
            socket
            |> assign(:uploaded_files, [])
            |> allow_upload(:avatar, accept: ~w(.jpg .jpeg .png), max_entries: 1)

         IO.inspect(newSocket, label: "newSocket")

         {:ok, newSocket}
      end
   ...

The mount/1 function is called, and the uploaded_files and uploads assigns are added to the session.

in mount
Socket: #Phoenix.LiveView.Socket<
  assigns: %{
    flash: %{},
    myself: %Phoenix.LiveComponent.CID{cid: 2},
    uploaded_files: [],
    uploads: %{
      __phoenix_refs_to_names__: %{"phx-FkYRxX4PVOACIAIJ" => :avatar},
      avatar: #Phoenix.LiveView.UploadConfig<accept: ".jpg,.jpeg,.png", ...>
    }
  },

However, when I run the server, go to /posts, click ‘New Post’, click “Choose File” and select a file, I get an error message on the sever 'no uploads have been allowed’.

Can someone please explain how to allow uploads in a stateful component?

The repo is here. I explained each of the steps I followed in the README.md file. The README.md also includes the detailed error message.

Showing Posts 6 to 1

c4710n

c4710n

To clarify, Live Upload is supported in LiveView and LiveComponent in 2022. It has well support on server-side uploading and client-side direct uploading.

If you encounter any problems, check:

  • allow_upload/3
  • phx-target attribute of form element if you are using LiveComponent
  • …

The example provided by @outlog is recommended.

YamilClassic

YamilClassic

It doesn’t work for me. I’m getting:

no uploads have been allowed on LiveView named Blabla
ndan

ndan

It’s possible to upload files in components. You should call allow_upload/3 inside update function instead of mount.

Please note that you have to use <form> inside your component, which makes it impossible to use inside another <form> (HTML doesn’t allow nested forms)

hudsonbay

hudsonbay

You saved me a lot of time with this :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

andreaseriksson

andreaseriksson

Its not yet supported

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews