ca1989

ca1989

Hi all,

this may sounds silly, but as a non-native English speaker,
I find it difficult to pronunce the word “heex”.

Example sentence:
“We have to consider the time needed to convert old eex templates to heex”

How do you pronunce that?

Cheers!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

c4710n

c4710n

I read heex as /hɪks/, and eex as /ɪks/.

ca1989

ca1989 OP

Ouch those sounds like the same to my ears.

I could use sigil h and sigil e maybe :slight_smile:

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Ah ya in that case you could perhaps say: “We have to consider the time needed to convert the traditional templates into the component templates” and leave the matter of the actual file extension out of what gets spoken.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker

Maybe /hɪks/ for heex and “embedded elixir” for eex?

woylie

woylie

I recommend ⟨iːks⟩ for eex and ⟨hiː↓ks⟩ for heex, where ↓ denotes an ingressive sound (inward airstream).

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

It’s pronounced heeeeeeeks with an [unnecessary] apologetic inflection.

ca1989

ca1989 OP

I mean, I appreciate all the phonetic symbols and tricks, but this is what I wanted :smiley:

Cheers!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews