ambareesha7
I found below shell-script(entrypoint.sh) from some GitHub Phoenix repo and I saw the same code in multiple Phoenix projects
#!/bin/bash
# Wait until postgres is ready
while ! pg_isready -q -h $PGHOST -p $PGPORT -U $PGUSER
do
echo "$(date) - waiting for database to start"
sleep 2
done
# Create migrate and seed database if it does't exist.
if [[ -z `psql -Atqc "\\list $PGDATABASE"` ]]; then
echo "Database $PGDATABASE does not exist. Creating..."
createdb -E UTF8 $PGDATABASE -l en_US.UTF-8 -T template0
mix ecto.migrate
mix run priv/repo/seeds.exs
echo "Database $PGDATABASE created."
fi
exec mix phx.server
the 1st block of code is clear it checks for Postgres readiness
but 2nd part I could not understand the if condition line
if [[ -z `psql -Atqc "\\list $PGDATABASE"` ]]; and I searched postgres document some online resources but I couldn’t find any reasonable explanation
and in my project I think that if fi block of code not excuted, then I added 3 lines of code to make it work
echo "$(date) - PostgreSQL is ready"
mix ecto.create
mix ecto.migrate
#!/bin/bash
# Docker entry point script.
# Wait until postgres is ready
while ! pg_isready -q -h $PGHOST -p $PGPORT -U $PGUSER
do
echo "$(date) - waiting for database to start"
sleep 2
done
# I added
echo "$(date) - PostgreSQL is ready"
mix ecto.create
mix ecto.migrate
# Create migrate and seed database if it does't exist.
if [[ -z `psql -Atqc "\\list $PGDATABASE"` ]]; then
echo "Database $PGDATABASE does not exist. Creating..."
createdb -E UTF8 $PGDATABASE -l en_US.UTF-8 -T template0
mix ecto.migrate
mix run priv/repo/seeds.exs
echo "Database $PGDATABASE created."
fi
exec mix phx.server
What is the explanation for this if [[ -z `psql -Atqc "\\list $PGDATABASE"` ]]; then ?
thank you.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
moogle19
Like described in the comment above the if:
# Create migrate and seed database if it does't exist.psql -Atqc "\\list $PGDATABASE"returns infos about the specified database (name, owner, …) and[[ -z ... ]]checks for an empty string.Which means if the
psqlcommand doesn’t return infos, the commands inside the if block are executed.ambareesha7
thank you
and I find more details here postgres