stuartc

stuartc

I have a GenServer that manages a varying set of interval timers.
By default, when you start it - the list is empty; and you add timers in
via the API.

I’d like to be able to fetch a list of timers from the database,
and add them to the process on startup (Supervisor).
In addition, if the process fails and is restarted by the supervisor
add the up to date list of timers from the database.

I imagine I need a parent process that itself is a supervisor,
in order to separate the IntervalServer from my main application.

I can’t quite figure out where/how I would hook such behaviour in,
i.e. call out to another process for data before restarting/starting a process.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

stuartc

stuartc OP

I came up with this:

defmodule BootstrapExample do

  def start_link do
    IO.inspect MyApp.Repo.get!(MyApp.User, 2)
    MyApp.IntervalServer.start_link
  end

end

And stuck it in my supervision tree with worker(Bootstrap, [])

I can verify the call to the Repo on start and restart, which means I’ll be able to
meet my requirements.

It feels rather thin, am I opening myself up to any issues with the supervisor or
is there a better/more elegant way to achieve this?

jwarlander

jwarlander

Strictly speaking, you can fetch your timer list in the init/1 function of your IntervalServer, eg:

defmodule IntervalServer do
  use GenServer
  # ...
  def init(:ok) do
    timers = MyApp.Repo.all(MyApp.Timer)
    {:ok, timers}
  end
  # ...
end

..and you’ll have the timers in your state. The drawback of this approach is that your database access is holding up the application startup sequence, and the application will utterly fail to start if the database isn’t available.

A different approach is to have init/1 return {:ok, [], 0}, which means it initializes with an empty array of timers, but a timeout of 0 milliseconds. When the timeout expires (immediately after startup), handle_info(:timeout, state) will be called, and you can load your state in that callback instead, without hindering the application during startup.. Eg:

defmodule IntervalServer do
  use GenServer
  # ...
  def init(:ok) do
    {:ok, [], 0}
  end

  def handle_info(:timeout, []) do
    timers = MyApp.Repo.all(MyApp.Timer)
    {:noreply, timers}
  end
  # ...
end

It depends on what your needs are. Doing it with timeouts, though, is the “friendliest” option – you can probably indicate in some other manner that the application isn’t ready yet, than having it fail to start at all. Perhaps some functionality is still useful, even without the database being (temporarily?) unavailable, etc.

NOTE: The IntervalServer can just be started in the top-level supervisor at this point, if you want to, eg. lib/my_app.ex in the start/2 function, as a worker.

stuartc

stuartc OP

Thanks! I’ve added the timeout, works nicely!

Just a thought on extending your approach, would Process.send_after/3 be a good idea?
In lieu of relying on the :timeout message (despite my process not using other timeouts at the moment).

Do you see any risks in this:

  def start_link do
    {:ok, pid} = GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], [name: __MODULE__])
    Process.send_after pid, :started, 0

    {:ok, pid}
  end

  def handle_info(:started, []) do
    # TODO: go fetch some data
    {:noreply, state}
  end
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

To be clear, both the start_link as well as init will block the start of the application. The supervisor will call start_link on the module which then synchronously waits for init to completely. So whether you’re putting the code in start_link or init it’ll still block the supervisor until it’s done.

jwarlander

jwarlander

Of course.. but since we’re just returning from init, with a hint for GenServer to send us a timeout, the actual work (in handle_info) will occur outside of the sequential startup sequence.

jwarlander

jwarlander

Should be fine too :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell though, still best practice to do it from within init (which is executed in the context of the new GenServer process), eg:

def init(:ok) do
  Process.send_after(self(), :started, 0)
  {:ok, []}
end

def handle_info(:started, []) do
  # ...
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews