brucepomeroy
Controllers generated with mix phx.gen.json respond with 422 status for changeset errors, whereas HTML controllers, generated with mix phx.gen.html respond with 200. I assume this is intentional, curious about the reasoning behind it. I always thought it was conventional to respond with 4xx status in the case of invalid input.
I’ve been using Unpoly, a JS library that merges HTML responses into the dom of the existing page (similar in concept to Turbolinks). Unpoly expects 4xx responses for invalid form submissions so I’ve been modifying my controllers to provide 422 responses. I’m curious why the generators don’t do this by default.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zimt28
I’d argue that the status responses on the api are about the data or the operation whereas the http status on the webpage refers to the page. When a changeset error occurs while using a web UI, you’re still getting the right page, so
200(IMO) is the right status code. If the error occurs during an api call, the error message tells you that the operation failed due to a client error (4xx), so that makes sense as wellEdit: Just a thought, I can totally see that returning the same error messages in both cases makes sense too. However, I still think that 95+ % of all web apps don‘t have a reason to return the right status code and as it can be added easily (you could even define your own generator templates), it shouldn‘t be set by default.
brucepomeroy
Thanks zimt28. Yeah I see what you mean. I’m still on the fence about which is more “correct”. Regardless, as you say, it’s trivial to change the response code to whatever works best for your situation. Thanks again.
jeremyjh
I think 422 makes sense for web pages as well. The POST operation was in fact, invalid and the desired operation was not completed. Yes there is some HTML to look at, but there is really no semantic difference between these two cases, only a different content-type.