fireproofsocks
I understand that the @moduledoc text is what gets shown when you type in mix help your.task:
Is there a way to show that information manually? For example, if my task has some required arguments or options, it’s possible to show an error using something like Mix.shell().error("Invalid input.), but I think it would be nicer in some cases to print out the usage info (just like you might encounter when you misuse a linux utility on the command line).
Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
You can just
IO.puts @moduledoc.fireproofsocks
Digging around in the source code for
Mix.Tasks.Help, I can see that functions for this are not easily exposed.. for some reason, I’m having trouble calling the functions inIO.ANSI.Docs, e.g.What’s going on there?
fireproofsocks
Yeah, that’s what I’m doing so far, but it would be nicer to take advantage of the formatting.
josevalim
axelson
Also do note that
IO.ANSI.Docsis@moduledoc falsewhich means it is an internal implementation detail of Elixir and you should not be calling it from your code.https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/da9b9014575c1930049235b0509657b2bde47319/lib/elixir/lib/io/ansi/docs.ex#L2
NobbZ
Not sure which sources you are digging, but at least on 1.10.2 I wasn’t able to find that function.
And as already has been said, the module is considered “private” and can change without notice.
fireproofsocks
I thought
@moduledoc falseonly indicated that documentation pages would not be generated. I do that on my own quickie projects where documentation isn’t necessary. It does not prevent me from calling the public functions in the module, however, so I am genuinely confused as to why I can’t call those functions.NobbZ
@moduledoc falseand@doc falseare conventions for internally used functions that need to be exposed because they are used through the project, but are also not part of the public interface of the library.The reason why you can’t call the function, is because the source code you looked at does probably not match the elixir version you have installed.
This is the reason why the module is marked “internal”, this gives the core team the flexibility to change it as necessary without needing to think about backwards compatibility.
fireproofsocks
Yeah, I’m looking at the latest master branch of the Elixir source… that must be different than the 1.10.1 code that I am actually running…