slouchpie
PWAs use a thing called IndexedDB
I was reading the docs this morning and thought how cool it would be if there was some package built on top of Ecto that could automatically convert a project’s existing Ecto schemas to “object stores” (that’s what they’re called).
Even in a new project, maintaining the object store schemas to accord with the Ecto schemas is a burden (Absinthe devs will know this pain). It would be cool if it could be automated.
You can see an example of how an object store is built here:
https://github.com/mdn/dom-examples/blob/main/to-do-notifications/scripts/todo.js
I throw this vague idea into the void and see if anything resonates…
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
garrison
Might be better to look towards OPFS instead. I don’t have a source off the top of my head but I have heard many times that IndexedDB is, for various reasons, very unpleasant to deal with. My understanding is that going forward OPFS will be better (and is now widely available).
bartblast
I have something along these lines planned for the local-first stage of Hologram. I agree with @garrison that OPFS is probably the way to go here.
One thing to keep in mind though – it needs to be a little more involved than just storing data on the client. You’d probably want:
Auto-sync between client and server
Managing schema and data migrations on the client-side
Deciding what subsets of data to sync to the client-side (not everything should/can be synced)
slouchpie
@garrison Yes, OPFS looks much better. Thank you!
@bartblast Very exciting to hear about local-first plans. I might play with the OPFS stuff myself just to see what is possible.
dimitarvp
SQLite in the browser, compiled to WASM, maybe?