Tano
Hello everyone,
I am new to Elixir, but I am quite confused. When I define @callback functions the module that is using the behavior is not producing error if that function is not implemented, it is just showing warning. I question would be what is the idea behind showing warning instead of throwing some error, thanks ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
pro_actor
I’m also confused about warning (instead of error), especially when we have
optional_callbacksMaybe it happen historically.. It would be awesome if error raised
wfgilman
I think a compilation error would be overkill. Behaviours are a way to establish explicit contracts. It’s a best practice, not a prerequisite for compilation.
https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/behaviours.html
dimitarvp
Well, contracts are worth nothing if they are not enforced. I actually find this compromise rather surprising.

wfgilman
I don’t have insight into the why the core team chose that route. You’d have to ask them. I appreciate the flexibility, personally.
wojtekmach
I don’t know the rationale, however to turn warning into error yourself you can pass
--warnings-as-errorsto mix compile, mix test and many other tasks.peerreynders
Just my guess - not an official explanation.
I think the warning makes sense in the context of Elixir (or Erlang) being dynamically typed. If Elixir (and Erlang) was statically typed then an error would make sense.
Dynamically typed languages lend themselves to REPL-Driven-Development, i.e. you can build and exercise code in the absence of other functionality (to be added later) as long as your current runtime execution path doesn’t run off into the “other non-existent” parts of the code. With a statically typed language this is impossible - you would at least have to “stub out” all the other parts of the code - even if you currently do not plan to execute them at runtime (during development).
Now granted unlike JavaScript, Elixir (and Erlang) still needs to successfully compile before anything can be run - but to use XML terminology - successful compilation simply means the code is “well formed” but it doesn’t mean the code is “valid”. The fact that Elixir (and Erlang) requires compilation should never be mistaken for it being “equivalent to” statically type checked
By only issuing a warning, you are free in development to write and run tests for parts of the behaviour that do not rely on that particular callback. This would be especially handy for behaviours with a relatively large number of callbacks. So the warning lets you get the first tests to run much more quickly - without necessarily having to sketch out the entire behaviour implementation first.
Now deploying code with these type of warnings (or ideally any warnings) into production would be questionable.