kx1

kx1

Hello everyone,

I’m creating an app which, has a part very similar to Airtable or Notion’s databases.

The app allows users to create SQL tables through a GUI. These tables are either stored in our DB or in the user’s DB if they provide the connection details.

When the user creates a table in our DB, I first create a user and schema in Postgre and I create the table in the schema. I want users to be able to directly connect to the DB to fetch their tables (this could allow them to use their tables in Power BI, for example), and with schemas I can grant them access to their tables and block them from accessing others.

I have two problems:

  1. Right now I’m storing the connection details of the user’s DB in plain text and I’d like to know your opinion on what’s the best way to encrypt the conn details.

As a note, the DB connection details belong to a group of users, so all users in the group must be able to decrypt the connection details. (So a group has many users and has many connection details)

  1. Ideally I’d like to encrypt our DB in a way that only the users can access their data, essentially blocking ourselves from accessing the user’s data. I perform ordering, filtering, etc on these tables so the encryption should still allow these operations.

I’m sure there’s a way to do #1 but not so sure about #2.

Everything is done with Ecto.

Any ideas on how to approach it?

Thank you in advanced!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

kx1

kx1 OP

Hey @dimitarvp, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, Cloak.Ecto looks like the perfect solution for my first problem. It does’t support User specific encryption keys out of the box, but it says in the docs that it can be implemented :+1:

Any ideas on how I could encrypt the table? With Cloak I think I can’t do it, because for filtering they recommend adding a mirrored hash field, but that’s only good for direct matching, if I want to do something like where string contains x or ordering by a date for example, I won’t be able to do it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews