jeroenbourgois

jeroenbourgois

Repo:
http://github.com/jackjoe/ex_activity

Docs:

This is our first stab at a Elixir library and our very first OSS contribution! We hope it can be of use to anyone, we are using it ourselves in production.

We created the lib because after 10 years of developing PHP apps we had settled with a structured way to gather logs from our apps, in a database. We really liked this setup, so we ported it to use in our Elixir/Phoenix apps.

Usage is pretty straightforward, where you want to log, say in an API UserController, you just write:

ExActivity.log(%ExActivity.Log{
  type: "api_call",
  action: "UserController/list" ,
  result: "user_count: 10"
})

It will write the data to the database in a Task.start_link way so it interferes as little as possible with your our µ-second response times. That way, we can log enough data and still get max performance. The first update that is coming is to make the data attribute accept structs to the log entry.

Feedback is welcome!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

NobbZ

NobbZ

Hello @jeroenbourgois!

Its much easier to get feedback when you provide necessary links to sources and library :wink:

Also it might help to better explain what your app is meant to do and whom you are refering to by “we”.

Eiji

Eiji

@jeroenbourgois: Here are my ideas:

  1. Add Logger backend, see: “Custom backends” section.
  2. Add controller field.
  3. Fetch controller and action name from conn, see: Phoenix.Controller.action_name/1 and Phoenix.Controller.controller_module/1
  4. Fetch header using: Plug.Conn.get_req_header/2 instead change all headers to map.

Note: You could save controller like:

alias Phoenix.Controller
# ...
controller_module = Controller.controller_module(conn)
"Elixir." <> module_string = Atom.to_string(controller_module)
# so we could do something like:
controller = String.to_existing_atom("Elixir." <> ex_activity_log.controller)
# do something with controller ...

Look at this case>
You could change it in to ways:

case headers[header] do
  nil -> ""
  value -> value # note do not call fetch again!
end
# or even simpler:
headers[header] || "" # because nil || "" returns: ""

For more information see: Kernel.||/2

In this line - you should have full call, please see: Avoid needless pipelines like the plague. code style rule by @lexmag.

Funny, but you could add pipe to another line

Here you have credo style guide and here its library that will look at your code with simple mix task.

Let me know what do you think about it. :slight_smile:

jeroenbourgois

jeroenbourgois OP

@Eiji thanks for your input! We are very new to the Elixir game so your styleguide comments are very welcome. I will look into it to make the library better!

jeroenbourgois

jeroenbourgois OP

Just a small reply, your proposals 2, 3 and 4 make a lot of sense. The first one, not so much to is. Here is why: we created the lib just for that specific reason: we did not want to use Logger, we had it at first (logging to a papertrail backend) but while this is great for all the out-of-the-box logs you get with Phoenix, we did not want that for ‘in controller’ logs.

That being said, after looking into the docs for custom backends, it might just be what we wanted in the first place :slight_smile: Do the logs you sent with Logger also happen in a different process, do you know that? If so, it might just be worthwhile to develop it as a custom backend which will make it much more portable and pluggable.

Again: thank you for your input!

PS: just because I am curious, if we were to get more info from the conn that is Phoenix specific, will we have Phoenix as a dependency? Not that it would be a big problem since we are using it in a Phoenix app to start from…

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Uh, why not? You can conditionally log or not based on the metadata about the logging call pretty easily… o.O

conn is from Plug, not Phoenix, so you’d only need to depend on Plug (and that is only if you wanted to match the Conn directly, otherwise access it like a map and no dependency is needed).

jeroenbourgois

jeroenbourgois OP

@Eiji was also giving an example about getting more info from the controller with Phoenix.Controller.controller_module/1, hence my question about the dependency.

We will look into the logger backend

Eiji

Eiji

@jeroenbourgois: You could add it as optional dependency. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews