pwightman
Hi, I’m using Absinthe with Dataloader and have a question.
Here’s some code that mimics the example from the tutorial very closely (found here), all the usual suspects:
defmodule MyApp.Schema do
# ...
object :post do
field :title, :string
end
object :author do
field :posts, list_of(:post) do
arg(:limit, :integer)
resolve(dataloader(MyApp.Blog))
end
end
def context(ctx) do
loader =
Dataloader.new()
|> Dataloader.add_source(MyApp.Blog, MyApp.Blog.data())
Map.put(ctx, :loader, loader)
end
def plugins do
[Absinthe.Middleware.Dataloader] ++ Absinthe.Plugin.defaults()
end
end
And then MyApp.Blog:
defmodule MyApp.Blog do
# ...
def data() do
Dataloader.Ecto.new(MyApp.Repo, query: &query/2)
end
def query(queryable, params) do
# How can I get params[:limit] to be the :limit arg from the schema???
queryable
|> limit(params[:limit] || 20)
end
end
My question is: how can I access the limit arg attached to the posts field on author from the Schema, such that I can use an Ecto limit query inside MyApp.Blog.query/2? I can see in the docs that you can pass params along to the query function by passing them along in the Dataloader.load call, but from what I can tell, that is called internally.
Is there a way to pass the limit arg through that doesn’t involve abandoning dataloader and falling back to the raw batch function?
Thanks for any help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
Hey @pwightman. To start with, the
loadfunction is not private or internal, it’s the main API for Dataloader itself. Thedataloader/1helper is great, and covers a lot of main use cases, but in certain complex scenarios usingload/4directly is perfectly fine.The
dataloader/1helper actually passes along all arguments the resolver has to the query function, so you should actually seelimitin there already, have you looked for it?Unfortunately though, using a limit here is probably not what you want.
limitwhen applied to an SQL query applies to the total number of result rows, whereas the meaning orauthors { posts(limit: 20) }would normally be “20 posts per author”.To limit the way you want requires window functions, which are not yet supported out of the box by dataloader. You can find some discussion of this here: Connection.from_dataloader/5 helper? · Issue #128 · absinthe-graphql/absinthe_relay · GitHub This is specifically about relay connection queries but the principle is the same.
pwightman
Ah, very true. Mostly I was using this as an example of passing arbitrary values to fields, accessing the schema generally, etc, but I had forgotten about this issue with limit specifically.
I feel a little like I’m going crazy, but yes, it turns out
query/2does receive all args already, I checked this specifically last night before posting and could have sworn it wasn’t, but upon checking again this morning, there they are.Digging a bit, I was also happy to find there’s a
dataloader/3with all sorts of useful information in it as well, so should be able to access everything I need.Thanks for all your work on Absinthe, really enjoying it!