Quetzakol

Quetzakol

Hello! :slightly_smiling_face:

I am playing a bit with Phoenix LiveView and Surface, and I’m struggling to find the right way to do a component.

Basically, I wanted to do a component with LiveComponent, that takes some text as a property. Then the component would display the text progressively, starting from a blank line and adding characters at a regular pace, like dialogs in video games.

Intuitively, I thought my stateful LiveComponent would be able to use Process.send_after and update the text being displayed in an handle_info. As it turns out, LiveComponents run in the process of their parent LiveView so I can’t do that. The only solution I found then is to handle that in the parent LiveView, but that means breaking the encapsulation as most of the component’s behaviour would not be handled by itself.

So I’m curious, how would you handle such a component?

Thanks for your help

Showing Posts 1 to 8

lud

lud

This looks like a job for JavaScript.

preciz

preciz

I found these:

I hope these can be good starting points for you.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Alternatively this might mean it is time to transform this LiveComponent into its own LiveView process proper.

However, it seems like in this case you’re only trying to show an aesthetic effect. There are ways to do this kind of thing nowadays using only CSS I believe, which might be a better way to go, as it reduces network chatter and allows the browser to optimize animation. EDIT: Ah, @preciz already linked to some CSS resources just now :slight_smile: .

Quetzakol

Quetzakol OP

The case I’ve given as an example does not really matter to me. I’m just playing with the lib.

Sure, I could use Javascript to do that, but I wanted to see how LiveView would be able to handle something like that by itself. After all, it’s often presented as a “you don’t have to write Javascript” solution.

Alternatively this might mean it is time to transform this LiveComponent into its own LiveView process proper.

I thought about that, but could not find a way to pass properties to it like I can do with a LiveComponent.

Basically, I’m surprised I can’t have a reusable and configurable component that is as dynamic as a LiveView process.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

We’ve had similar real world situations (components subscribing to external information) and at the moment you simply can’t encapsulate it without using private Phoenix LiveView APIs. We just bit the bullet and have the parent live view do a handle_info to send_update.

However, I believe there are plans to allow send_update to work from external processes which would allow you to ping the component directly.

Quetzakol

Quetzakol OP

We’ve had similar real world situations (components subscribing to external information)

Thanks! That’s the kind of thing I was thinking I would want to do in the future. Too bad there is no better solution, but at least now I know I haven’t missed anything obvious.

However, I believe there are plans to allow send_update to work from external processes which would allow you to ping the component directly.

Good to know, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

AndyL

AndyL

I wrote a clock component, and ran into this self-updating issue too!

My solution also requires a handle-info handler in the parent LiveView…

defmodule MyApp.ClockComponent do
  @moduledoc """
  Renders a live clock that updates at a periodic interval.

  The clock update frequency (`interval`) and the output format (`strftime`)
  are configurable options.

  To call from the parent template:
  
      <%= live_component(@socket, MyApp.ClockComponent, id: 1, interval: 10_000 %>
      <%= live_component(@socket, MyApp.ClockComponent, id: 2, strftime: "%H:%M" %>

  To make this work, the parent LiveView needs a handle_info function:

      @impl true
      def handle_info({:tick, assigns}, socket) do
        send_update MyApp.ClockComponent, assigns
        {:noreply, socket}
      end

  The parent `handle_info` is required because there is no `handle_info` callback 
  for LiveComponent.  

  Ben Wilson (@benwilson512) on Elixir Forum says that in the future, there may
  be a `send_update` feature to allow external processes to ping the component
  directly.

  https://forum.elixirforum.com/t/livecomponent-updating-itself-at-regular-intervals/37047/6

  Also the code in the `update` callback is more complex than desired.

  Ideally the timer would start once in the `mount` callback.  This was not
  possible because the timer interval should be configurable in the assigns,
  and the assigns are not available in the `mount` params. (AFAIK)

  Maybe there is a simpler approach for starting the timer...
  """

  use Phoenix.LiveComponent

  @impl true
  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
    <%= @date %>
    """
  end

  @impl true
  def mount(socket) do
    {:ok, socket}
  end

  @impl true
  def update(assigns, socket) do
    opts = update_assigns(assigns) 
    unless assigns[:timer], do: start_timer(opts)
    {:ok, assign(socket, opts)}
  end

  defp update_assigns(assigns) do
    strftime = assigns[:strftime] || "%H:%M:%S"
    [
      id: assigns[:id],
      timer: "started",
      interval: assigns[:interval] || 1000,
      strftime: strftime,
      date: local_date(strftime)
    ]
  end

  defp local_date(format) do
    NaiveDateTime.local_now()
    |> Calendar.strftime(format)
  end

  defp start_timer(opts) do
    :timer.send_interval(opts[:interval], self(), {:tick, opts})
  end
end

AndyL

AndyL

I had another look at this, re-implemented as a LiveView, and everything is much simpler.

defmodule MyApp.ClockLive do
  @moduledoc """
  Renders a live clock that updates at a periodic interval.

  The clock update frequency (`interval`) and the output format (`strftime`)
  are configurable session options.

  To call from the parent template:

      <%= live_render(@socket, MyApp.ClockLive, id: 1, session: %{"interval" => 10_000}) %>
      <%= live_render(@socket, MyApp.ClockLive, id: 2, session: %{"strftime" => "%H:%M"}) %>

  """

  use Phoenix.LiveView

  @impl true
  def mount(_params, session, socket) do
    start_timer(session["interval"] || 1000)
    strftime = session["strftime"] || "%H:%M:%S"
    state = [strftime: strftime, date: local_date(strftime)]
    {:ok, assign(socket, state)}
  end

  @impl true
  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
    <%= @date %>
    """
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_info(:clock_tick, socket) do
    newdate = socket.assigns.strftime |> local_date()
    {:noreply, update(socket, :date, fn _ -> newdate end)}
  end

  defp start_timer(interval) do
    :timer.send_interval(interval, self(), :clock_tick)
  end

  defp local_date(format) do
    NaiveDateTime.local_now()
    |> Calendar.strftime(format)
  end
end

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews