ademenev
Ok, I admit, the title is clickbait.
There are some examples about using streams, including LiveView documentation. They all look beautiful and work nicely. Well, until the socket reconnects for whatever reason. So, for example, on mount we load a list of latest chat messages, and as we scroll up, we load older messages. And when the socket reconnects, we are back to list of latest messages, and no historical messages loaded while scrolling.
I was not able to overcome this, so I am wondering, is it that streams cannot survive reconnect or that’s just skill issue?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
You’d retain the current page (e.g. in the url), so that the reconnect wouldn’t load latest messages anymore, but the current section the user was looking at. You’d loose the other messages “off screen” instead, which would be loaded again on further scrolling.
Stream do however not attempt to retain any data across remounts. If you need caching like that you want to look at other options – like
phx-update="ignore"and some client side code to deal with updates.ademenev
Well, if we stay on chat example, that’s not the UX a user would expect.
josevalim
It is obviously up to you to implement the UX the user expects.
Especially because the root cause of the problem is not caused by streams.
The basic use case of streams is to not send the data on every update. An example scenario without streams is: “I send all of the data on mount and, once a new item is added to the collection, I resend the whole collection”.
That’s obviously expensive, so streams allow you slightly change it to: “I send all of the data on mount and, once a new item is added, I only send that item”. In this example, if you lose the connection, then you will get back to the same page, because you still send everything on mount. So streams do not naturally exhibit this issue.
The root issue is that you are not sending the whole data on mount (and indeed, you should not). For example, imagine that instead of streams, you always send the last 100 messages, on mount and every update. That’s not efficient and it would still have the same issue after the 100 messages window.
Of course, the solution depends on what you want to achieve. The simplest is to store an index in the client and fetch all messages after that index on mount. But you could try to be smarter and cache it locally. Do you want to persist across reconnects? Or even if the user refreshes the page? How much data are you willing to refresh? Also keep in mind that, even if you store in the client, messages can be deleted and updated from the server.
A hammer will help you build a house, but it won’t build one for you.
ademenev
Thanks!
No magic, exactly as I suspected
Hermanverschooten
Thanks for the insight and the reference to storing an index, I hadn’t thought of that (yet).