jsm

jsm

SpeckEx is an Elixir version of block cipher Speck, developed by the NSA (:scream:) in 2013 as a “lightweight” cipher. SpeckEx uses Rust crate “speck_cipher” as its base and is meant to be only a very thin wrapper around it. The main module only exposes CTR and AEAD modes (Speck-Poly1305) with 128-bits block sizes and provides guardrails with regards to nonce generation in particular. Submodules expose the raw block cipher, and CTR and AEAD modes with smaller (risky) block sizes. Extensive documentation including security guidelines is added.

The rationale behind the package is that I have a particular need for a modern cipher that operates on blocks of size 64 and 96, which are very thin on the ground indeed. OTP only offers DES, 3DES and Blowfish, which each have their issues (broken, slow, very slow with crypto_one_time), and nothing for 96-bits blocks. Speck seems like a good solution and supplements the OTP offerings. I figured that I might as well make it into a usable package.

:warning: Experimental state :warning:

The entire package should be considered experimental, and has not been reviewed or audited. I would welcome expert help, particularly with reviewing the Rust code where all of the magic happens, because I am by no means fluent in Rust (in fact Gemini wrote most of that :blush:). I did not implement any of the algorithms involved (neither Speck nor Poly1305), nor the CTR mode, but the combination of Speck and Poly1305 in the AEAD construction is implemented in SpeckEx itself, so that bit in particular qualifies as the prohibited “rolling your own” at this point. Hence the big warnings at the top of the documentation entrypoints. Since the Rust code is very small, hopefully this state of affairs can be improved with some help.

Package: speck_ex | Hex
Docs: SpeckEx — SpeckEx v0.2.0

https://github.com/juulSme/SpeckEx

Showing Posts 1 to 1

jsm

jsm OP

The recent 0.2 release has moved to release versions of the backing Rust crates so maturity has increased :partying_face:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews