zanderxyz

zanderxyz

Veil - Simple Passwordless Authentication for your Phoenix Apps

I have just released the first version of Veil, a very simple library to add passwordless authentication to your Phoenix apps. Starting from a new project, you can have authentication working in five minutes (and most of that time is getting an API key from your email api of choice).

I have noticed a lot of people asking about the best solution for adding authentication to new projects and I think this provides that. It has far less functionality than Guardian or Coherence, but in turn is faster to set up if you don’t need all the bells and whistles that they offer.

I don’t think most websites need to use the username/password paradigm, and authenticating by email automatically verifies all of your emails on signup. You have full control over the expiry of session tokens and can easily revoke them on the server if you want.

All the schemas/controllers/plugs/templates are added directly to your Phoenix project so you can easily customise/extend them as much as you wish.

Would really appreciate any feedback!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Would be nice to add a little more detail to the post on the forum. Could you show a quick snippet of use? Also will this work with any email provider?

idi527

idi527

Thanks for the library!

But how is it better than using bamboo and a single controller? That’s how I do authentication over email right now. I guess what I’m asking is, if I already have passwordless authentication set up, should I switch to your library?

zanderxyz

zanderxyz OP

Sure! Veil adds a new mix task that you run with mix veil.add. This then does the following:

  • Adds schemas for Veil.User, Veil.Request, Veil.Session
  • Adds User & Session controllers & views
  • Adds a mailer
  • Adds three Plugs
  • Adds HTML templates (if your phoenix app has a templates directory)
  • Amends your config file to add the Veil-specific settings
  • Amends the default layout.html.eex to add a sign in link
  • Amends your router to add one of the Plugs to the default pipeline, and adds two new blocks: one for Veil’s sign in/session routes, and one that only signed in users can access.

It also includes code to generate unguessable unique secure ids for requests and sessions, and this code isn’t copied to your app (since it doesn’t need modifying).

In practical terms, this gives you:

  • A sign in/signup form (email address only) that sends an email to the address given
  • Clicking the link in that email will sign the user into the application and set a session id in a cookie
  • You can then add protected routes in the new router block that will only be accessible to logged in users

Regarding email providers, it uses Swoosh by default, which includes the following adaptors for different services: Sendgrid, Mandrill, Mailgun, Postmark, SparkPost, and SMTP.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

zanderxyz

zanderxyz OP

Good question. Honestly, if you have already set up your own authentication by email, then it probably makes sense to continue using that. This isn’t a terribly hard problem, so if you’ve already done the work it’s unlikely that you want to switch.

That said, it may have a few advantages over your solution (guessing of course):

  • Secure request/session ids that can easily be invalidated server-side.
  • Login requests are also stored in the database, so it is easy to see failed login attempts (although these are deleted by a task daily, it would be easy to add another task to email a list of users with multiple failed attempts to the website admin daily).

I think the main advantage comes if you are starting a new project - you can be set up in 5 minutes without needing to roll your own method.

If you have a few minutes free, maybe try creating a new project with Veil included and see if it works significantly differently. If your method is better in any way I’d love improvement suggestions!

ElixirCasts

ElixirCasts

Forum Sponsor

If you’re curious how Veil works, I made an screencast where I use it with an existing Phoenix application: https://elixircasts.io/passwordless-authentication-with-veil

makeitrein

makeitrein

Just watched the ElixirCast and was up and running with Veil in under 10 minutes! Really fantastic on-boarding experience, wish that other auth solutions shared Veil’s ease-of-use…

Has anyone “outgrown” Veil and incorporated other authentication solutions such as OAuth? Curious how much pain there will be down the line if I decide to build a more fully featured authentication suite for my app…

maz

maz

What if I have an existing User schema? Will VeilUser integrate seamlessly? OR if I’m starting from scratch and use a VeilUser as my principal user module, how do I extend its functionality for my “problem domain”?

arkaitzmugica

arkaitzmugica

Hi,

My question may seem stupid… but I really need an answer. I’m trying to get Veil working on my fresh created phoenix app… and when I do mix deps.get I get this error:

Failed to use “ecto” (versions 3.0.0 and 3.0.1) because
crontab (versions 1.1.0 to 1.1.4) requires ~> 1.0 or ~> 2.0 or ~> 2.1
ecto_sql (version 3.0.0) requires ~> 3.0.0
phoenix_ecto (version 4.0.0) requires ~> 3.0

Yes, I’m new to Elixir, and Phoenix also. I’m desperate because I’ve tried mix deps.unlock --all and also mix deps.clean --all … but it doesn’t work. My mix.ex deps look like this:

defp deps do
[
{:phoenix, “~> 1.4.0”},
{:phoenix_pubsub, “~> 1.1”},
{:phoenix_ecto, “~> 4.0”},
{:ecto_sql, “~> 3.0”},
{:postgrex, “>= 0.0.0”},
{:phoenix_html, “~> 2.11”},
{:phoenix_live_reload, “~> 1.2”, only: :dev},
{:gettext, “~> 0.11”},
{:jason, “~> 1.0”},
{:plug_cowboy, “~> 2.0”},
{:veil, “~> 0.2”}
]
end

What should I change? How can I make it install and work?

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

Maybe you can downgrade to a previous version of phoenix? The one which worked with ecto ~> 2.0, at least until :crontab gets updated.

Your deps would look something like

defp deps do
  [
    {:phoenix, “~> 1.3.0”}, # note the change
    {:phoenix_pubsub, “~> 1.1”},
    {:phoenix_ecto, “~> 3.0”}, # note the change
    # removed {:ecto_sql, “~> 3.0”},
    {:postgrex, “>= 0.0.0”},
    {:phoenix_html, “~> 2.11”},
    {:phoenix_live_reload, “~> 1.2”, only: :dev},
    {:gettext, “~> 0.11”},
    {:jason, “~> 1.0”},
    {:plug_cowboy, “~> 1.0”}, # note the change
    {:veil, “~> 0.2”}
  ]
end

or maybe you can “override” the :crontab’s ecto version restriction with

defp deps do
  [
    {:phoenix, “~> 1.4.0”},
    {:phoenix_pubsub, “~> 1.1”},
    {:phoenix_ecto, “~> 4.0”},
    {:ecto, "~> 3.0", override: true}, # note the change
    {:ecto_sql, “~> 3.0”},
    {:postgrex, “>= 0.0.0”},
    {:phoenix_html, “~> 2.11”},
    {:phoenix_live_reload, “~> 1.2”, only: :dev},
    {:gettext, “~> 0.11”},
    {:jason, “~> 1.0”},
    {:plug_cowboy, “~> 2.0”},
    {:veil, “~> 0.2”}
  ]
end
arkaitzmugica

arkaitzmugica

The second solution worked (I’ve not tried the first one :slight_smile:).

Thank you very much indeed for your fast and complete answer!!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews