Raathmd

Raathmd

The step where previous_names are added is now preventing the save of an artist.
The artist table has the migrated field and the change function is in a separate module.
I see no messages in the terminal about why the save is not working.
How can i get some logging info from the submit action?
I added an inspect in the change function but nothing was output so i assume something is preventing it from executing this. I then added an input field for the previous_names field and started getting validation that it is required, even though allow_nil is true.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

:wave: I might need to see how what your code looks like up to this point to say for sure. I believe there is a step in the book that addresses that.

To answer your question more directly, there are a few things you can do to debug an action/form.

With the form

With a form that has been returned in the {:error, form} case of AshPhoenix.Form, you can do

AshPhoenix.Form.errors(form, for_path: :all) |> IO.inspect()

Not all errors are displayed in the form automatically because they may not tie to fields that are editable in the form itself. We also log a warning (IIRC that is the level) when we encounter an error that could not be displayed to the user due to not implementing the AshPhoenix.FormData.Error protocol (a safety measure to avoid displaying internal details to the user.

You can also peek at form.source (or form.source.source, if you have a %Phoenix.Form{}

in the action itself

change fn changeset, _ -> 
  Ash.Changeset.after_transaction(changeset, fn result -> 
    IO.inspect(result)
    result
  end)
end

You can add a hook like this to display the ok/error result from the action.

You’ll want to make sure that your action is not accepting previous_names as an input, and that your change is being run in all necessary places to set the attribute, that it has a default of [] etc.

Raathmd

Raathmd OP

Thanks for your reply Zach. I inspected the result on save and go the following:

         errors: [
            %Ash.Error.Changes.InvalidChanges{
              fields: nil,
              message: "Change Tunez.Music.Changes.UpdatePreviousNames must be atomic, but could not be done atomically: Tunez.Music.Changes.UpdatePreviousNames does not implement `atomic/3`",

here is the update action:

    update :update do
      require_atomic? false
      accept [:name, :biography]
      change Tunez.Music.Changes.UpdatePreviousNames, where: [changing(:name)]
    end
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I imagine the book should call this out, but the answer to that is to add require_atomic? false to the update action.

Raathmd

Raathmd OP

The action has require_atomic? false.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Hmm…now that is interesting :smile:

Would it be possible for you to push your code as you have it to Github? I can take a look :smile:

Raathmd

Raathmd OP

I noticed int he network tab that the app is falling back to longpoll, could this be a reason?

ken-kost

ken-kost

It needs to be change(changeset, opts, context), not change(changeset, context)

Also, I noticed you have duplicate migration files. That’s something that shouldn’t happen. You can not run mix ash.setup while there are duplicates. I assume you were experimenting with snapshots?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

@ken-kost is correct about the def change/2 being the issue. This is an interesting one :sweat:

We have logic for an Ash.Resource.Change to automatically perform its atomic/3 callback if there is no change/3 callback defined. So when we try to do that, we find that there is no atomic/3 callback either, and that produces this error.

Something common to do with behaviours in Elixir (which Ash.Resource.Change is one), is to use @impl true or @impl BehaviourModule above each function that implements a callback of that behaviour. You can read more about that here: Typespecs reference — Elixir v1.18.3

If you had @impl true above def change(changeset, context), you would get a warning about that not being an actual callback available.

I think there are two things that we can do on our end to improve this:

@sevenseacat we can make sure to use @impl true in all of our examples of change/validation/calculation callback functions.

And for myself, I can add a check that at least one of change/3, atomic/3 or batch_change/3 is defined, as that is the minimum required for a change to function. That check also would have surfaced this issue :slight_smile:

sevenseacat

sevenseacat

Author of Ash Framework

Can do! I always forget to put that in everywhere :sweat_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews