superchris

superchris

As part of my experiments in learning Ash, I decided to extract a sortable, paginated table component we use on one of our projects and rework it to use Ash. It turned out to be not too terrible, so I thought I’d [share it with the world. It’s very early, and has almost no styling. But it works, has tests, and if nothing else might serve as a useful example for folks to build on.

As with all my work, feedback and contributions are welcomed :slight_smile:

https://github.com/launchscout/ash_table

Showing Posts 1 to 10

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Awesome :slight_smile:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Some small notes:

Additional action opts

You’ll likely want to accept additional options to the action for things like authorization, multitenancy, etc. A name used for this in some places is action_opts or read_opts.

results =
      query |> apply_sort(sort, columns) |> Ash.read!(Keyword.merge(assigns[:action_opts] || [], [page: [limit: limit, offset: offset]]))

Multiple pagination strategies

There is keyset and offset pagination available in core, for keyset pagination, you’d replace offset with an after or before key. With that in mind, you might want to accept page_opts (or perhaps use the action_opts vs read_opts suggestion above to encompass the concept)

mxgrn

mxgrn

Recently did some related work, more in the ‘batteries-included’ fashion. Here’s a live demo of a PoC that I prepared for a former client of mine:

https://ash-table-poc.mxgrn.com

It’s note a library (although I did put effort into making the table a reusable component), but maybe some ideas could be an inspiration. E.g. the table auto-configures itself from the Ash resource. Columns can be dragged around and resized, inline editing is supported, etc.

superchris

superchris OP

That’s a really nice example. There’s definitely some bits I’d like to borrow and incorporate. I love how it generates the columns for you and does the whole CRUD lifecycle. Nice work, thanks for sharing that!

superchris

superchris OP

Thanks Zach, having a read_options as assign you can pass definitely makes sense. Supporting multiple pagination strategies also would be great, just got give it a little more thought in terms of how to support it.

superchris

superchris OP

Following @zachdaniel 's suggestion, released 0.2.0 which allows read_options to be passed to specify tenant, actor, etc

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Noice!

Something you might also consider is allowing a list as the sort_key, and constructing the sort_expr automatically if they don’t provide an apply_sort. Would look something like this:

require Ash.Sort

sort = 
  case sort_key do
    value when is_atom(value) or is_string(value) -> 
      {value, direction}
  
    value when is_list(value) -> 
      {path, [name]} = Enum.split(value, -1)

    {Ash.Sort.expr_sort(ref(^path, ^name)), direction}
  end
superchris

superchris OP

Hmm.. that’s really interesting. I wonder if it might be even nicer to lightly parse the sort_key (not married to this name) and if there is a . in it turn it into a path.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

that is clever, I’m into it :+1:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

now that you point it out though, that is just what ash core should do also perhaps. People are typically pretty annoyed to break out expr_sort just for a to_one related field.

its on the roadmap now: Support related sorts via dot separated identifiers in sort · Issue #1272 · ash-project/ash · GitHub

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews