maxmannen

maxmannen

I am not very experienced with Elixir and struggling with getting my head around how to deal with storing and updating an access token using oauth2 login. Working on an (Phoenix LiveView) application that lets the user log in with a Google account and that uses calls to the Google Api ( Drive, Documents etc)
I am using gen_auth and I have tweaked it using this setup.
What I have done is to fetch the access token and stored it using Cachex using a key named after the user id. I can retrieve this token as long as I have the user id.
The problem is that I have no strategy for when this token has expired and overall the the whole strategy feel really clunky.
I need to be able to renew the token when its expired or log out the user the this happens.
Input or other better solutions is more than welcome.
This is how I get the access_token:

 case Accounts.fetch_or_create_user(user_params) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        access_token = conn.assigns.ueberauth_auth.extra.raw_info.token.access_token
        Cachex.put(:cache, "token_user_#{user.id}", access_token)
        UserAuth.log_in_user(conn, user)

      _ ->
        conn
        |> put_flash(:error, "Authentication failed")
        |> redirect(to: "/")
    end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews