joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

So I am exploring Umbrella Apps to migrate a old application to have a better separation of concerns and of course I am trying to use the mix phx.gen tasks generators.

I am using Phoenix 1.4 and this version has the :context_app generator configuration options which work perfectly. But I have the following scenario:

apps
|
— db_service
|
— test
|
— test_web

I am trying to use the “test” application to host the context API. And I am trying to use the “db_service” application to use all the ecto stuff like schemas, etc.

So I have two questions:

  1. Should I separate the context from the schemas or
  2. Is there a proper command mix phx.gen.html [options] to do all this operation in one go

It is important to say that I can configure this scenario using the different command: mix phx.gen.html, mix phx.gen.context, mix phx.gen.schema but I still require some manual changes to make this work properly.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,

Showing Posts 1 to 2

easco

easco

If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, then I would say “most definitely yes”. The context represents a logical chunk of functionality in your application - something that your application knows how to do. Say your application was for tracking shipments, then your context would be about how do you represent a shipment, what kind of operations can you do on shipments etc.

Your schema sits at the edge of your application and is concerned with how the elements of the context are represented in one particular type of storage (that being stored in a database). It’s a separation of concerns issue; you’re trying to separate what a thing is, from how that thing happens to be stored. If you wanted to get rid of a database and use a flat-file, or hook your application up to a 3D printer that generated plastic slabs where the data is encoded as if chiseled in stone, then you wouldn’t need the schemas - but the main logic of your application, the contexts, should still be valid.

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro OP

Thanks for your explanation and time.

Best regards.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews