owaisqayum
Hi,
I am having a list of tuples
list = [{-1, 3}, {1, 5}, {10, 15}]
When i pass it through Enum.scan, it gives me the following result. Its a program i saw on codewars but i really dont understand how the Enum.scan is working over here.
Enum.scan(list, fn {b, e}, {_, x} -> {max(b, x), max(e, x)} end)
output: [{-1, 3}, {3, 5}, {10, 15}]
I tried IO.inspect to look at the results but still, it doesn’t make any sense. Here is the result of IO.inspect
b: 1
x1: 3
max(b, x): 3
e: 5
x2: 3
max(e, x): 5
b: 10
x1: 5
max(b, x): 10
e: 15
x2: 5
max(e, x): 15
[{-1, 3}, {3, 5}, {10, 15}]
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
fuelen
Hi,
As you don’t pass initial accumulator, then the first element of the list was taken and the first element on output will be the same as on input -
It makes sense
{-1, 3}.Then, on first iteration
bandeare from the second element of the list andxis from accumulator which is the first element of the list.Then you build new two-element tuple which is
{3, 5}, it is used as second value in output list and as accumulator for the next element.Then on the next iteration
bandeare from the last element andxis from accumulator. Newly built tuple is{10, 15}, it is used as third element.So, we have
Maybe, it would be easier for you if we reimplement
Enum.scanusingEnum.map_reduce: