Distillery error - Failed to archive release: _build/prod/rel/my_app/releases/RELEASES: no such file or directory

Hi all, I’m trying to push a new release of my application (to Gigalixir, but seems the problem is at the Distillery level) but having trouble getting the Distillery release to run. I haven’t touched the application in a while but upgraded to Phoenix 1.7 a while ago. Here is what my terminal says:

$ sudo MIX_ENV=prod mix distillery.release

==> Assembling release..
==> Building release my_app:0.1.0 using environment prod
==> Including ERTS 13.1.1 from /opt/homebrew/Cellar/erlang/25.1.1/lib/erlang/erts-13.1.1
==> Packaging release..
==> Failed to archive release: _build/prod/rel/my_app/releases/RELEASES: no such file or directory

I’m using sudo because when I don’t I get the error

$ MIX_ENV=prod mix distillery.release

==> Assembling release..
==> Building release my_app:0.1.0 using environment prod
==> Including ERTS 13.1.1 from /opt/homebrew/Cellar/erlang/25.1.1/lib/erlang/erts-13.1.1
==> Release failed: no match of right hand side value: {:error, :eacces}

I’m not sure what releases/RELEASES is and am having trouble finding anything about it in the Distillery docs.

I’m on macOS Ventura 13.1, using Apple Silicon. Haven’t had luck finding threads on this specific error, any help is appreciated, thanks!

Just ran into this problem myself.
Related to OTP 25.
Here’s the open ticket for this problem: THIS LIBRARY IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ERLANG/OTP 25 · Issue #744 · bitwalker/distillery · GitHub

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah this makes sense. I ended up switching to fly.io to get around this… I actually do quite like it. At first I was skeptical about using Docker for deployment but it does make things a lot easier than keeping up a lot of configuration within the Elixir files like I was doing before, for anyone else considering the switch for this reason.