sodapopcan
Perhaps oddly, this is the first time I’ve hit this situation in Elixir: I would like to test that a function has only been called once. My use-case is that I’m writing a wrapper around Ecto’s preload and I want to test that when given a list of structs, the implementation looks something like this:
def my_wrapper(structs, preloads) do
MyApp.Repo.preload(structs, preloads)
end
and not this:
def my_wrapper(structs, preloads) do
for struct <- struct do
MyApp.Repo.preload(struct, preloads)
end
end
My only idea so far is to create a mock for MyApp.Repo.preload (which is generally considered a no-no) and have it update a count stored in a gen_server every time it’s called. This is certainly a solution, but does anyone have any better ideas? I have looked at the tests for preload itself and did not come away with anything (although perhaps I didn’t look hard enough?)
Asking here before I resort to asking the robots.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jhogberg
trace — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2) ought to do it, just trace it from your test case and make sure you get exactly one message saying it’s been called.
jstimps
Hi, I do this exactly in one of my projects with the trace module! The approach has been a huge help across multiple refactors, to keep performance solid. I love it so much that I wrote a blog post about it.
Asd
Its can be done in a very ergonomic way with Repatch
First, initialize Repatch in
test/test_helper.exsSecond, in test do something like
sodapopcan
I had a very “duh me” moment last night as I was falling asleep when I realized I asked this question while following along in in almost real time with this thread which mentions Repatch for spying.
That’s a great write-up @jstimps, thanks! I really need to start dipping into Erlang libs as these are things I’m aware of but never think to use.
I’m giving @Asd the check as even though it means adding a dependency, I’ve been meaning to give Repatch a try since it was announced and that API is so nice.
Thanks for the answers, all!