flp

flp

I tried to use the insert_all functions to batch insert 2 records, but it always fails with Enumerable not implemented for Model:

Repo.insert_all(Model, [%Model{id: 1, friend_id: 4}, %Model{id: 4, friend_id: 1}])

I got it working by inserting every record at once:

Multi.new
|> Multi.insert(:model1, %Model{id: 1, friend_id: 4})
|> Multi.insert(:model2, %Model{id: 4, friend_id: 1})
|> Repo.transaction

Maybe my misunderstanding is that only normal maps are supported?

Repo.insert_all(Model, [%{id: 1, friend_id: 4}, %{id: 4, friend_id: 1}])

Unfortunately, then the timestamp values are not automatically set:
null value in column "inserted_at" violates not-null constraint

Is there any way to achieve the batch insertion with phoenix models and what exactly is my mistake or misunderstanding?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

idi527

idi527

You can insert your data with timestamps like so

to_insert =
  [%{id: 1, friend_id: 4}, %{id: 4, friend_id: 1}]
  |> Enum.map(&Map.put(&1, :inserted_at, NaiveDateTime.utc_now())) 

Repo.insert_all(Model, to_insert)
flp

flp OP

Yeah, but without knowing the implementation reasons, I don’t really find this intuitive and comfortable. I would have expected to be able to use it like the insert function.

idi527

idi527

The reason for this is that it’s supposed to be a bit lower level than Repo.insert, so that it accepts table names as the first argument, Repo.insert_all("users", [...]). And it doesn’t need schemas to be defined, you just pass the maps with some data. That’s why it doesn’t know that it needs to add a inserted_at timestamp.

kylethebaker

kylethebaker

It looks like only lists of maps or keyword lists are supported. From the @spec:

entries :: [map | Keyword.t]

There is some explanation in the documentation about why this is the case:

However any other autogenerated value, like timestamps, won’t be autogenerated when using insert_all/3. This is by design as this function aims to be a more direct way to insert data into the database without the conveniences of insert/2. This is also consistent with update_all/3 that does not handle timestamps as well.

It is also not possible to use insert_all to insert across multiple tables, therefore associations are not supported.

It does feel like a shortcoming though, I’m not sure why it doesn’t work with schemas/structs.

EDIT: You could create a utility around Multi like this:

def insert_multiple(entries) do
  multi =
    Enum.reduce entries, Multi.new(), fn(multi, entry) ->
      Multi.insert(multi, entry.id, entry)
    end
  Repo.transaction(multi)
end

It depends on the struct to have an id field for the multi name, but you could change that to anything I think, it just needs to be unique.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews