bill.c
I am beginning a proof of concept for an internal application to help promote Elixir. I would like to showcase the power and performance of the language platform. I have an existing messaging application using RabbitMQ. My thought were to build a publisher and consumer to connect with the existing implementation.
GenStage and Flow seem to provide value with this architecture pattern. However, as I am new to GenStage/Flow and RabbitMQ specifically, I am curious if introducing GenStage/Flow is redundant or an unnecessary abstraction.
Would you recommend using the Elixir capabilities on top of RabbitMQ? Or are the native features of RabbitMQ far superior to what could be demonstrated by GenStage/Flow?
Thanks for the advice.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
matteosister
I think that RabbitMQ is a good tool to manage back pressure, unless you have a very huge amount of data that needs to be handled really fast to the workers to not saturate RabbitMQ itself.
And also, rabbit workers, adopt a “push” pattern, so by adopting a back pressure system like GenStage, where you “pull” messages from rabbit, you are using it in a really strange way. There is already prefetch count and prefetch size from the amqp protocol that works pretty well with back pressure.
I think that a postgres table (with Repo.stream) or a big file could be a better example. A situation where the amount of data that comes in could eventually saturate your application and slow everything down.
bill.c
Thanks for the explanation. I did feel like I was trying to connect the positive ends of two magnets, but thought maybe there was some justification or specific use case.
matteosister
maybe someone has an example where the two technologies could work well togheter. So far I didn’t find it
ifoo
check out https://github.com/pma/wabbit.
its from the creator of the Elixir amqp module showing how to use it with gen_stage.
bill.c
Yes. I saw this library earlier. However, I am curious if the library is necessary. Or if, as @matteosister states, does GenStage make sense with RabbitMQ.
bill.c
Do you know of a more robust example of using RabbitMQ than the example tutorial on the RabbitMQ site? Seems overly simple and does not take advantage of GenServer.
bill.c
Nvm. The AMQP Elixir Github page shows an example using GenServer. I should have looked first.