qhwa
Dockerize - A small hex package for creating Docker images from an Elixir project.
Hi, guys,
I’ve been playing with Elixir and Docker together for some time and today I’d like to share some of my experiences on running Elixir on Docker to the community. This includes:
- Dockerize - the hex package that helps scaffolding
- Two Docker base images: elixir-builder & elixir-runner, used by this package by default.
Also, I wrote a blog post on how to do it manually if you want to build your own stacks.
This is a tiny library and many others may have better solutions, but I think it will provide most of the developers a good start on deployment.
So, please check it if you’re going to de deployments, and don’t hesitate to drop any comment or advice. It will help me improving it definitely.
Thanks!
Trending in Announcing
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub.
Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
New
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
qhwa
v0.2.0 updates
qhwa
v1.0.0 released!
Welcome to give it a try!
dimitarvp
Can you clarify on that? I am not a heavy Docker user but I do use it and so far I’ve had no problems with Alpine.
qhwa
Yes! Alpine is surely amazing. I am a fan of it too but I found that I have to deal with the differences between musl and standard libc. If the library owner uses NIF and doesn’t provide prebuilt binaries, we have to compile it ourselves. Compiling on Alphine today is a bit harder than Debian because musl is not the majority. I’m sure it will get better as Alpine becomes more and more popular.
I picked Alpine because it is super small. But today thanks to Docker layer caching and cloud building, we don’t need to build locally and push to remote, sizing is not a big problem now. making the library smoother to adapt seems more important to me.
dimitarvp
Yep, I’ve been bitten once by
libmuslwhen working actively with Rust last year (by the famous slower memory allocation) but I haven’t revisited in a while and I am curious if that has been fixed.As for NIFs and prebuilt binaries I prefer them built in the container anyway but I get what you are saying!
Yep, got introduced to that several months ago and I loved it. I wonder if people are updating their Docker files en masse to make use of this fantastic feature, hmmmm.
maz
Thanks for this. Any plans on doing a write-up on Rio? I like how it will fetch and maintain Let’s Encrypt certs for you.
qhwa
I was shocked by how it simplified the certification flow and image building flow when I tried Rio a year ago. It’s a good direction but by that time it was unstable. I am glad to take your suggestion and give it another try!
qhwa
Today I released version v1.1.0.
updates:
ARGandENVinstructures.maz
I have a trivial hello_world phoenix 1.6 project that I’m trying to dockerize using this tool and I’m running into
#32 2.083 npm WARN npm npm does not support Node.js v10.24.0stack after doing
mix archive.install hex dockerizemix dockerize.initDOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 docker build .To try and fix this I added some lines at the beginning, but seems to not have any impact. Any ideas?
qhwa
Hi Maz, could you open an issue on Github? I just tried the latest version of Phoenix (1.6.6) and it works. According to your log, I assume this is something related to the assets compiling so if you create a repo to reproduce it, it will be perfect.