sergio

sergio

In Phoenix Liveview uploads, you need to surround the upload helper function in a form, with a submit button.

How can I build something a little more like Github’s experience where you can just upload the image and it gets sent to the server to update the user avatar?

I don’t really care about the dropdown.

Really what I’m looking for is having a button that triggers the file picker dialog, and then automatically submits the form would be a good UX for my usecase.

Any tips?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

c4710n

c4710n

  • Auto uploading can be set by the auto_upload: true option of Phoenix.LiveView.allow_upload/3
  • Auto submitting can be triggered by serveral ways. The one I used is to trigger it in the callback of JS uploader with form.dispatchEvent(new Event("submit", {bubbles: true, cancelable: true}))
sergio

sergio OP

Nice, so using the Uploaders.S3 example from the docs, it looks something like this:

Uploaders.S3 = function (entries, onViewError) {
  console.log(entries);

  entries.forEach((entry) => {
    let formData = new FormData();
    let { url, fields } = entry.meta;
    Object.entries(fields).forEach(([key, val]) => formData.append(key, val));
    formData.append("file", entry.file);
    let xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
    onViewError(() => xhr.abort());
    xhr.onload = () =>
      xhr.status === 204 ? entry.progress(100) : entry.error();
    xhr.onerror = () => entry.error();
    xhr.upload.addEventListener("progress", (event) => {
      if (event.lengthComputable) {
        let percent = Math.round((event.loaded / event.total) * 100);
        if (percent < 100) {
          entry.progress(percent);
        }
      }
    });

    // Only autosubmit the form if uploading one file.
    if (entries.length == 1) {
      xhr.upload.addEventListener("load", (_event) => {
        const form = entry.fileEl.closest("form");
        form.dispatchEvent(
          new Event("submit", { bubbles: true, cancelable: true })
        );
      });
    }

    xhr.open("POST", url, true);
    xhr.send(formData);
  });
};

Specifically the load event is what we’re looking to attach to. Works great!

c4710n

c4710n

It would be better to check the xhr.status before submitting, because the xhr request may fail.

sergio

sergio OP

According to the docs the load event only happens when the upload completed successfully.

image

c4710n

c4710n

HTTP request returning 2XX code will be considered as success.

Above code is checking the xhr.status === 204 , I simply think the all the load event handlers should consider this condition as success.

munksgaard

munksgaard

If anyone is stumbling over this now, it seems like the official Phoenix documentation has a solution now.

In short, auto_upload: true can be paired with a progress handler which handles the file once it has been completely uploaded:

allow_upload(socket, :avatar, accept: :any, progress: &handle_progress/3, auto_upload: true)

defp handle_progress(:avatar, entry, socket) do
  if entry.done? do
    uploaded_file =
      consume_uploaded_entry(socket, entry, fn %{} = meta ->
        {:ok, ...}
      end)

    {:noreply, put_flash(socket, :info, "file #{uploaded_file.name} uploaded")}
  else
    {:noreply, socket}
  end
end
sergio

sergio OP

Thank you for pointing that out, sweet!

larshei

larshei

Just a small note for anyone who struggles with uploads simply not doing anything:

  1. The live_file_input must be inside a form element
  2. Uploads require phx-change on the form. The handle_event/3 callback does not need to do anything, it may just return {:noreply, socket}.
r4z4

r4z4

This was great and thanks everyone for the help. I do have a follow up, though. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent the phx-change trigger, returning a simple {:noreply, socket}, from performing a refresh and resetting all of my other form inputs. I have the .live_input form below another .simple_form with the idea that the user might fill out some fields, attach an upload, continue filling out the rest of the fields.

Kinda struggling to think of a good way out here. I imagine I could put it in its own LiveView but that seems a little much, since it already appears to be in its own LiveView? I think the “best” solution I have so far is to somehow get the current state of the form at upload and repopulate, but that again seems a little overdone.

Just wondering if I am missing something or if someone out there might have any ideas. Thanks all :slight_smile:

i-n-g-m-a-r

i-n-g-m-a-r

In addition..

Note that the upload will not start when for example the file is larger than max_file_size.
This will not trigger any error or interaction so auto_upload will “fail” silently.
handle_progress/3 will not be called so it might seem like auto upload is not working.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews