victorbjorklund

victorbjorklund

I want to use Ash again (I tried it a year ago but I’m now returning to try out 3.0) but I’m a little bit unsure about Ash Authentication. I am far from a security expert so maybe my concerns are not valid but I was wondering about how to implement refresh tokens using Ash Auth. As far as I understand it is not very good practice to use long lived stateless jwt tokens since it is impossible (or very hard) to invalidate them if they need to be invalidated before expiry. So most people seems to recommend a short lived access token (seconds or minutes) and a refresh token that is stored in the database.

In the docs to ash auth it says: “Since refresh tokens are not yet included in ash_authentication, you should set the token lifetime to a reasonably long time to ensure a good user experience. Alternatively, refresh tokens can be implemented on your own.”

How would one add refresh tokens to an app using ash-authentication? I know how I could do it in a “vanilla” Phoenix app but not with Ash (my macro skills are very poor). Is it possible without forking ash-authentication and rewriting a large part of the library? If so any hints on how one would do it?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Don’t have time right now for a more involved answer, but there are discussions of how it can be implemented elsewhere in the forum, have a search around and see if you can find them. I think one was pretty recently.

As for difficult to revoke, AshAuthentication has a good option which I typically prefer anyway as I like to have state representing all current valid sessions, which is that you can do:

store_tokens? true
require_token_presence? true

In which case authentication tokens are stored and you can delete one or expire it in the database. Can be great for showing users things like “what active sessions do you have now” and that kind of thing.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews