DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Has anyone noticed that upon handling a phx-blur event on input text element as a result of the browser window losing focus, LiveView fails to update the field? The handle_event is processed, but the DOM is simply not updated.

To repeat this bug, have a number of input fields without the form’s phx-change event and have each input text with the blur event. Have the the values obtained in the handle_event function upcased before changing the state (so that all input elements caps the text when losing focus). When focus is lost by clicking or by pressing tab key in the same window, all is well but the field that has focus when another window is activated will not be updated by LiveView. If using pubsub and another browser window to view changes, the I-believe-is-a-bug will become all the more obvious.

I am running Elixir 1.9.0, Phoenix 1.14.11, LiveView 0.4.1 on Windows.

TIA

Showing Posts 1 to 3

lardcanoe

lardcanoe

Apologies for posting to an ancient question, but I also had this problem and eventually found this note:

For any given input with focus, LiveView will never overwrite the input’s current value, even if it deviates from the server’s rendered updates. This works well for updates where major side effects are not expected, such as form validation errors, or additive UX around the user’s input values as they fill out a form.

Felt I should share for others stumbling on this.

garrison

garrison

I traced the focus check back to this document.activeElement call, so it does not appear to actually use focus/blur events at all. A hunch: is document.activeElement preserved when the tab is blurred?

I have never run into this but I find this behavior quite surprising, to the point where I might call it a bug. At least in the documentation, which explicitly mentions focus.

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

The problem is that if the server would blindly update the current state, without some form of clock alignment, then we could end up in a situation that the user’s input gets changed unexpectedly. Specially easy to observe with higher latency between client and server.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews